Old 04-03-2005, 06:35 AM

I have a 78 trans am with a 400. The engine dies on hard turns. It happens most often in hard left handers and u-turns. Anybody got any idea what would be causing this? Any help would be appreciated. It's drivin me crazy.

Old 04-03-2005, 06:35 AM

I have a 78 trans am with a 400. The engine dies on hard turns. It happens most often in hard left handers and u-turns. Anybody got any idea what would be causing this? Any help would be appreciated. It's drivin me crazy.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

Make sure that your battery is not sliding around causing the positive terminal to ground out. Just a thought!

Old 04-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would invest in the 78 Pontiac Factory service manual. I purchased as used one on ebay for $20. The 78 service manual lists the following:

Stalls or Rough Idle Hot
-------------------------
1. check air cleaner, air cleaner door
2. check the following:
(i) vacuum hoses
(ii) air leaks at carb, intake
(iii) ingition wires
3. ign. timning and idle speed
4. pcv valve
5. egr valve
6. carb idle speed, idl mixture

Cuts Out
---------
1. ign. wires and boots, cap and coil
2. output of ign system at each wire
3. check spark plugs
4. carb fuel filter
5. test fuel pump
6. fuel lines
7. fuel pickup in gas tank
8. carb- check power piston spring, dirt in
jet and metering passages and bowl, float and float setting,

I abbreviated the information. For the full text see the service manual.

Old 04-03-2005, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I was kinda guessin it might be a fuel starvation problem. The engine's been rebuilt but its runnin on pretty much factory everything else. Just ordered a complete global west suspension for it.
So its time to get hot and heavy on gettin the old pile straightened out.
Fuel filter's fresh and its done it even with a fresh tune up. Ya'll reckon I oughta start with the fuel lines and pump? It rolled off the assembly line with this crap so I figure its about time for replacement.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kinda carb you running?? If its a Holley check the float level in the rear.
Mike

Old 04-08-2005, 04:19 AM

I've got an Edlebrock 750 w/ electric choke on there w/ a 1/2" spacer between it and the performer intake. Car's never really liked that carb and I've got a Holley 750 double pumper w/ manual choke down in the basement. Thinkin about gettin it rebuilt and puttin that on instead. I've got a couple parts I'm about to order for the car and I'm probably gonna throw an MSD 6A box and blaster 2 coil while I'm pokin around.

Mr G might be on to something with the battery slidin around. Its a side post and it used to do that when I first got the car. Might as well go to a top post and find a good way to secure it. The way I had it is kinda ghetto fabulous ya know.

Old 04-08-2005, 04:55 AM

Couple more questions for you guys while I'm thinkin about it, if ya don't mind. How much trouble would I have put a set of Doug's headers in the car witht he engine still in? The A/C's been pulled by the previous owner but all the heating stuff is still there. Also, any idea which type of 6x heads would be on the car from the factory? I know they're 6x's but I can't think for the life of me whether their 4's or 8's. Reason I ask is because I'm getting my parents to have the heads resurfaced after a horrible overheat before I got deployed and I was thinking about having them milled a bit to up my compression.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:49 AM

Okay, nevermind the head question. Called home, had my parents check it out, 6x-4's. I'm still tryin to find out if the car was an original special edition or just a knock off. Pain in the butt. especially since I know the engine's been rebuilt and the car's been wrecked before. Hurst Hatches, Auto, 6x-4 heads, no WS6 suspension judging by the size of the rear sway bar. Front end's been replaced considered its got the engine sticker over the radiator brace for a 4.9L....and an earlier year model rounded shaker scoop.

*Sigh*...poor car. Its all good though, I'll get it right eventually.