1982-92 TA & FB TECH 1993-2002 TA & FB Tech is now part of the new Late Model Section of the PY Forums. Click this link to check it out.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Default ID my Rally II wheels

I've been hanging onto these for years. They're obviously for Firebird / Trans Am based on the black center cap with gold bird. But, the colors are all backwards. Rally II's usually have a charcoal gray center with silver outers, but these have a gold (actually I'd call it "pewter") center with a kind of gunmetal gray outer. Backs and and sides of the wheels are painted black. They are 15 x 7 size. Trim rings (not pictured) have a "brushed" appearance as opposed to being brightly polished or chromed. Stamped to the left of the valve stem is "M56 8" and to the right "28 HF". I do have a book that says Rally II's were available on some third generation birds, but I do not have any factory literature to back this up and cannot find a single photo online of a car with Rally II wheels with this color combination. I don't think they've been repainted. Can anyone tell me what years and models these might have come from?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	212448  

Old 07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

15 x 7 Rally 11's were last used on 1981 Firebirds & T/A's.(at the end of the second generation platform)

They were re-introduced in 1988?,I believe & I'd say that's what you've got there.

Looks like the gold may have been redone or added,possibly?

I don't know the codes on those wheels,but may have one here & will confirm if I can find it.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was going to say 1986 Firebird SE rims, but the date coding says they were assembled in Aug. '86.
http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox...ls/86f/86f.htm

Old 07-20-2010, 09:59 PM

I did a google image search for 1987 Firebird and found this:

http://www.nicks78ta.com/photos_87firebird.htm

It's a black and white photo, but it sure looks like the inner wheel is lighter in color than the outer, plus it has the same center caps. I sent an email to the guy on the web site and I'll see if he can give me some more information.

Incidentally, the part number on the back of the center caps is 10004652.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:30 AM

Those are 3rd gen bird wheels. I've got a couple sets in my stash and we sold a ton of them Firebirds when I worked in the dealership. Most were 6 cyl cars that had them.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill