Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2015 Pontiac Powered Bracket & Index Wins

I assume there are lots of Pontiac powered bracket and index racers out there, who run the smaller tracks and races every weekend. And I also assume that some of these Pontiacs occasionally win a race or 2.

But, I never see any mention of these wins. So, I'd like to change that. Because of my background of bracket racing, I'm always interested in hearing of the details of a Pontiac bracket win. I like to see what RT and ET both cars ran, to determine if it was a holeshot win, or as a result of a breakout, redlight, etc.

Unlike many today, I'm more interested in these details, and driver skill, than who spent the most $$ to win a heads up race. That's just me. Some like golf. Some like fishing. Don't mean one is any better than the other. It's just a matter of personal preference.

I don't know if this thread will work of not. There's one thing for sure. Those who win or know of a Pontiac win must post the details on this thread, or there will be nothing to read. I have no way of knowing what is happening at the small tracks and races around the country.

Besides the win info, I'd like to see pics of the car, and exact specs--engine, trans, rear, suspension set-up, etc. Also, for those running for track points championship, let us know your standings.

This will give the little guys a chance to let us know of their accomplishments. I realize that many today could care less. But I for one, do care. I like bracket racing. It has saved most of the small tracks that are still open. And it gives the low buck guys, like we always were, a chance to win, against the guys with more to spend.

This can include any form of "brakelight" or "breakout" racing. In my area, we have Super Pro, No-E(footbraker), and index classes from about 5.0 thru 8.0(1/8 mile of course).

So, let's give it a try. If there's no interest or input, it'll just fade away, and be forgotten--no harm done. But, it may become a popular thread. I hope so.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy

There are some real tough guys like Probird, the beach boys, the estep boys, the tiger tail guys as well and quite a few others in the Illinois area. I have a ton of respect for the bracket and index guys doing their thing with poncho power!

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 06-09-2015, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Prior Action

Since we are well into the racing season, there have probably already been quite a few Pontiac winners. So, I'd like to see info posted about these, to catch us up on this year's Pontiac wins.

Back in the day, we won lots of races, but very few people cared, except us. But nowadays we have these Pontiac forums, to let the whole Pontiac world know about our victories. So I'm ready to start reading about some of 'em !

Old 06-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just getting this started. How about Runner Up in Pro Class at BIR in Brainerd, Mn last weekend. Seven round race. I red lit in the final running 8.40-8.43 all day. Also, Bill Meyer won Pro Street in his GT37 last weekend at Grove Creek Raceway in Grove City, Mn. He'll chime in with the details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 18 2015 002.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	400027  

Old 06-09-2015, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up ALL RIGHT !

Now that's what I'm talkin about ! Keep it comin ! You don't just accidentally win 6 rounds of competition nowadays. Please post details of your car, or a link them, if they are already posted somewhere. Thanks !

Old 06-09-2015, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronman View Post
...Bill Meyer won Pro Street in his GT37 last weekend at Grove Creek Raceway in Grove City, Mn...

I found a little info on Bill.

http://www.grovecreek.com/WinSemi150607.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqVNKFZP0vk
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5386126064c72.image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	400033   Click image for larger version

Name:	5386125f9c6fa.image.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	400034  

Old 06-09-2015, 08:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a link to the detail of the chassis on my 95 Bird. Engine was built by Bill Meyer. Details include: 541ci, 955 dyno hp, 15:1, 430cfm KRE Hi Ports, 1200cfm Pro Systems on a BOP intake w/ custom headers, glide, 9" Hughes, 4.11 gear.

http://dragstersforsale.com/95firebirdspecs.html

Old 06-10-2015, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Just getting this started. How about Runner Up in Pro Class at BIR in Brainerd, Mn last weekend. Seven round race. I red lit in the final running 8.40-8.43 all day. Also, Bill Meyer won Pro Street in his GT37 last weekend at Grove Creek Raceway in Grove City, Mn. He'll chime in with the details.
8.40's consistantly...............pretty damn impressive!

GTO George

Old 06-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

10.0 index at Atco. Currently 4th in points 4 races in missing one race. No wins, can't seem to make it past the semi's. Only pontiac power in the class.
If I can get 60's more consistent in the later round would help. They always fall off.
http://www.atcoraceway.com/wp-conten...sults-5-16.pdf

Old 06-10-2015, 08:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This season I have been running my new 525 all aluminum Pontiac engine in my trusty 68 Firebird. I won a hi roller gamblers race,($4k),then went to Bristol for the Spring Fling $20s and runnered up in the doorcar shootout($4k). I came back to my home track Richmond Dragway,and I have won the last two points races. My round win record so far this season is 58W,17L and I have won over $10k. My car runs 5.70's in the 1/8th.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Great Info !

Great info guys ! Keep it coming !

"...If I can get 60's more consistent in the later round would help. They always fall off."

Yeah, it seems like, at most all tracks, the conditions get worse as the race goes on. Sometimes it could be weather conditions--dew causing moisture on the track. But I think it is usually due to less attention to the starting line. The starting line crew are getting tired and ready to go home, so they just overlook some small spots of oil. And sometimes the good track prep and the compound or whatever kind of "goo" they put down is going away. Anyhow, for a variety of reasons, there is just less traction as the race wears on.

If you are limited to a small tire, there's not much you can do about it. I always added weight in the trunk, when running bad tracks. One track was really bad. I put tool boxes, a floor jack, spare tire, and even barbell weights in it. I know that sounds dumb. But, it worked. I won the points at that track one year. It may not work for ALL cars, but will for SOME.

But, if you are not limited to a smaller tire, run the biggest tire you can. We ran 13 x 30 or 31 tires. No, on a good track, with good starting line conditions, we didn't need tires near that big. Our local track, now, does a real good job on the starting line. My car will hook with almost wore out 9" slicks. But, when the hour is late, and the track is bad, you need all the traction help you can get. I think "overkill is best". Can't have too much traction. You want zero wheelspin, not controlled wheelspin, for consistent times. Well, most of ya'll know more about racing than me, but that's been my experience.

"...10.0 index at Atco. Currently 4th in points..."

"This season I have been running my new 525 all aluminum Pontiac engine in my trusty 68 Firebird. I won a hi roller gamblers race,($4k),then went to Bristol for the Spring Fling $20s and runnered up in the doorcar shootout($4k). I came back to my home track Richmond Dragway,and I have won the last two points races. My round win record so far this season is 58W,17L and I have won over $10k. My car runs 5.70's in the 1/8th."

Yeah, this is the stuff I like to read about. And when you guys get a chance, PLEASE include all the details and specs of your drivetrain and set-up, or a link to it. And most of us LOVE to see pictures, especially action shots, and winners circle shots. I regret having not made very many pics when I was racing a full schedule--don't be like me. Hey, it don't matter that there are others with better lookin, faster cars, with more wins than you. I like to hear about the little guys(and gals) too, cause I wuz(are) one.

Hey, you may be real close to that better ET you want, but as long as you can cut good lights and run your dial or index, you're a player. Somebody has to beat you, or you win the race. TJ won the Pro Street bracket, at an IHRA points race, from the bump spot, in a 16 car field, when the guy who was on the bump, broke, allowing her in the race. So, no matter how slow your car is, as long as it has a Pontiac engine, let us know about your success with it.

And one thing I REALLY love to hear about is when you beat a Chevy powered vehicle for the win !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1874.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	400100   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1867.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	400101  

Last edited by ponyakr; 06-10-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Here's a link to the detail of the chassis on my 95 Bird. Engine was built by Bill Meyer. Details include: 541ci, 955 dyno hp, 15:1, 430cfm KRE Hi Ports, 1200cfm Pro Systems on a BOP intake w/ custom headers, glide, 9" Hughes, 4.11 gear.

http://dragstersforsale.com/95firebirdspecs.html
Mr. Aaron, I see you run a Powerglide. I mentioned on this site once, that most of the bracket racers in my area run a Glide. I concluded that the softer 1st gear will help with traction, and only having one shift will make for more consistent ET's.

But I was shouted down by the TH400 guys. They say the glides only work with real light cars. But hey, they run 'em in almost everything around here.

So, if you would, tell us what you think about running a Glide. And do you think there is some sort of a weight limit, passed which, it would be better to run a 3-speed ? They can obviously now build a Glide that will stand up to 2000hp and more. So trans breakage is not an issue, unless you are trying to run an almost stock Glide.

While on the subject of 2-speed trannies, I'd like to ask for some opinions. Most tracks have a "footbrake class". Our local track calls it "NO-E". So, for Pontiacs running a footbrake class, would the ST300, which some call a Buick Super Turbine 300, work OK. My tranny guy says that in a no-brake app, he sees no reason why a good ST300 wouldn't work great for bracket racing. And, they use a Turbo converter. Some guys junk these old 300's. So there should be some cores around, real cheap. So, what do you guys think ?

Another 2-speed idea, for footbrakers, is to run a TH350 with a manual VB, but only use 2nd & 3rd. I think 2nd gear is about 1.50, so you might wanna up your rear gear ratio some. But, not having a 1-2 shift would remove the problem it causes in the TH350. And it should eliminate most traction problems, even when track conditions are bad. Anybody tried it ? Results ?

Old 06-10-2015, 01:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If consistency and reliability are your goals I highly recommend a Glide. One shift on less than optimal track conditions (bracket racing) is important. We run Hughes components and they are built locally with all the good stuff. Complete glide that will run behind our stuff is about $5k. I don't subscribe to a car weight limit as there are many heavy, top sportsman guys running them in this neck of the woods with excellent results. Converter and gear selection is key to making them work well. If you want optimal ET's a glide is not the transmission for you. It's all about trade-offs.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks ! That's the best explanation I've heard for running a bracket Glide.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If consistency and reliability are your goals I highly recommend a Glide. One shift on less than optimal track conditions (bracket racing) is important. We run Hughes components and they are built locally with all the good stuff. Complete glide that will run behind our stuff is about $5k. I don't subscribe to a car weight limit as there are many heavy, top sportsman guys running them in this neck of the woods with excellent results. Converter and gear selection is key to making them work well. If you want optimal ET's a glide is not the transmission for you. It's all about trade-offs.
X2....if you usually leave 2cnd you can figure out who cut the better light by the shift point, or if you usually leave 1st(running a dragster) you can get 2 maybe 3 looks at your opponent before the shift.........I fell in love with a powerglide when I was 6.0 index racing. I could pick up my opponent so much quicker and could already tell if I was going to "take it" or not usually by my shift point.

“It’s the process it takes to get to goals that sets us apart, the execution on every single play, one play,one life”
Notre Dame Head Coach Marcus Freeman

69 GTO NHRA Super Street Car
2860lbs 10.890@157.08 MPH in Iowa in June’23 ,157.56 MPH in Gainesville in March ‘23
Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
8.40's consistantly...............pretty damn impressive!

GTO George
agreed^^^ congrats Aaron and Bill

Old 06-12-2015, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff V View Post
This season I have been running my new 525 all aluminum Pontiac engine in my trusty 68 Firebird. I won a hi roller gamblers race,($4k),then went to Bristol for the Spring Fling $20s and runnered up in the doorcar shootout($4k). I came back to my home track Richmond Dragway,and I have won the last two points races. My round win record so far this season is 58W,17L and I have won over $10k. My car runs 5.70's in the 1/8th.
You have had a heck of a season so far Jeff, congrats and best of luck the rest of the year!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jeff - You are on a roll! Keep it going and congrats. Impressive start to the season.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys!!

Old 06-16-2015, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tom Kilroy at Atco
Jamie Horton at Etown
both won races this year both in first or second place in points in there classes