Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-26-2017, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Poof of black smoke, now Vintage A/C doesn't work

I just went to start my car for the 3rd time today (daily driver) and it did a little baby backfire in the carb sound, didn't fire up, but then a poof of black smoke immediately came out the passenger side open hood scoop.

I opened the hood, saw nothing, smelled nothing, then started the car with the hood open after a couple pushes of the gas pedal. All seemed fine.

But now my Vintage A/C compressor won't click on! It has been working perfectly for the past year. Any ideas where to start figuring out what went poof?!

Weirdest of all, my A/C was totally turned off when I started the car like I always do.

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Follow power supply back from the compressor, with unit energized. Check that there is supply power at the source(fuse) first.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, there is a black wire coming off the compressor to the receiver/dryer in front of the condenser. Or so I thought, when I look at the connectors on the pressure switch at the receiver/dryer, both are blue lol. With my engine running and A/C switched on, what should I be checking for at that switch? Both sides should be powered right? Both sides read 7.5v

There is a grey plastic power block mounted on the inside of the firewall, I checked and it has power across it.

Far as any fuses, wow, looking up inside the dash I don't have a clue where to start, there is a fu*k ton of wires.

I also can verify that when the A/C is turned on, the electric fan kicks in like it should. Also the in dash blower fan goes on.

Last edited by 92GTA; 05-26-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found it! It was short for the blue signal wire, odd because the fan controller was still seeing the signal to turn the fan on, but when I re-did the connector under the hood better, bam, compressor kicked right on.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i ATE MY DINNER BEFORE i REPLIED
i BET IT'S MORE THAN 7.5 VOLTS NOW.
...YOU DID IT

I believe the a/c compressor should disable when you crank the engine, if it is not, you likely need to change your power supply source.

Last edited by STEELCITYFIREBIRD; 05-26-2017 at 09:28 PM.