Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-16-2003, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i got to reading another thread and went to Wallace's site, which led me to question what i thought i have for a block. when we rebuilt my engine we disassembled it at a friend's house. this guy has seen hundreds of pontiac engines over the years and has a book with the various pontiac engine codes. he looked up the code on my block up in the book and said it was a 455 HO block that was a one year only option in the 1970 GTO. i remember this specifically, but i also think i remember that the code was a "YA". according to Wallace's site, the YA was offered in 72/73, and was certainly not a high performance option. can anybody help clarify this for me? i'm sure gary would not have told me about the one year only GTO option if it wasn't true, assuming he read the code correctly. does anybody know if the "WA" designation for 1970 was the block that came in the GTO's?

97 Trans Am WS6
Best ET: 12.13
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455
Best ET: 12.02
Best MPH: 112