Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-25-2001, 05:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK, the infamous rear main leak and how to plan not to fail???

What is the best solution to this when assembling a new motor? Has anyone tried the Viton seal from BOP?

I will be assembling a new motor soon and want to plan this so I don't get any leaks! So what is everyone doing with this?

Thanks

Don

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 04-25-2001, 08:53 AM
Senior Chief

My rear seal was leaking on my 428 as well. Two years ago, I took the ST-300 tranny out and installed a T400. At that time, a friend of mine helped me do the job. He bought some kind of rear seal for the engine. I can't remember what he used. I have to ask him. He bought it from an old old supplier where we live. The damn thing hasn't leaked in 2 years. I check periodically. I take the tranny inspection cover off. Still no signs of leaking.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 04-26-2001, 10:41 AM
Senior Chief

Whats the going price for a BOP seal?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

"More tears are shed from answered prayers, than unanswered prayers"
Old 04-28-2001, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gach,

The primary issue revolves around the NEW rope seals, which are basically are worthless. Where did you get the idea than only one guy was having a problem? We know first hand (no pun intended) We built a motor that gushed oil like a Texas well inside 15 minutes of running. We have heard the same story over and over. We get dozens of calls and emails a day on the subject. Have you had a problem, no. Have you built a motor using a new rope, I doubt it. Believe me, if you had you'd know it.

As far as the Cad seal goes, it can work. From our experience and everyone I've talked to it's about a 50/50 shot as to whether it will leak. We took that seal to our manufacturer and they couldn't believe people actually ran that seal in the Pontiac application.

As far as the warranty thing goes, I agree with you. I would be hard pressed to buy an engine the builder would not warranty. Built the fact remains that we have several customers who are big name prominent engine builders that were doing just that if the customer used the new rope.

We would not have invested money in this project if we were not convinced there was a need and therefore a market.

JC,

We have not had any experience with the 460 Ford seal. The people I've talked to that have say it can be made to work with some modifications.

------------------
Wade Congdon - BOP Engineering
www.bopengineering.com
"If you can turn left you're going too slow"

www.bopengineering.com
Old 05-01-2001, 11:23 PM

Well here's my story. I had my 455 completely rebuilt. Mentioned the caddalac seal to my engine builder. He said he's never had a rope seal leak, but would try the caddalac seal. The seal worked like a charm...for 100 miles. Now it leaks like crazy. He'll replace the seal for free (going rope this time), but I have to pull the motor. What a pain in the #$%&! Nothing will wizz a guy off more then spending a year and a ton of money getting your car road ready to have to pull it apart after the first 100 miles. Is this just a Pontiac problem or what! My sympathy to all of you with this problem.

Old 04-25-2001, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get the BOP seal. It is available now for the 400, and the large journal seal will be available again soon. Order the one you need.

Old 04-26-2001, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

$29.99 for Both sizes

Decca Records rejection of The Beatles - 1962
"
Old 04-28-2001, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wade, Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the "new" rope seals. I have been buying my set through the same Poncho vendor for years. I am also currently putting together a street 400 for my 64 GTO conv. I will pay extra attention to the rope seal, and who knows, I may be giving you a call!
Thanks, Guy

Old 05-02-2001, 03:11 PM

2bad....unless your builder has access to an old asbestos rope seal, you may want to consider waiting for the BOP seal.

------------------
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Old 04-25-2001, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

as OMT said,get the BOP seal,I put one in my 3in main V motor,has 11 dyno pulls and over 300 miles on it now with no leak.Tom

Old 04-26-2001, 02:40 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoJo:
$29.99 Each - Both sizes <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Decca Records rejection of The Beatles - 1962
"
Old 04-28-2001, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wade, no disrespect, But on the Caddy seal, you're WRONG!! I've use that seal for over 10
years, and never had a problem. You have to install it correctly, and good instructions are needed. Nunzi, and Maxey have been useing and selling that seal for YEARS. I've NEVER had one LEAK.....NEVER, and for 13.00 bucks at your local NAPA store.

I'm not going to comment on the rope seal, right now. But I'll have some facts, and post them in a day or two. I can say one thing though, I'm not hearing the same thing your telling me.

PS: The 460 seal will work, Greg M, has been using this seal, in all his motors, with no problems, for the last 3 years. I'll try an get the info on what's needed. But I know it's not a big deal.

[This message has been edited by Gach (edited 04-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gach (edited 04-28-2001).]

Old 05-03-2001, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go that route. Where can I order one from and what do they cost??

Old 04-25-2001, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

There is a guy that has posted on the "GTO Mailing List" that he recently installed the now available BOP seal in a 400 engine and he has an oil leak.

He reported that the lip of the seal rode on the serrations on the crankshaft, which he didn't think was correct, but that BOP told him to go with it.

Does the BOP seal ride on the serrations? That would seem to me to not be the best for sealing.

------------------
Bob Kazian
Greer, SC
bobgoat67@aol.com

Old 04-27-2001, 11:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm no expert engine builder, but I have always assembled my own race & street engines. I have always used the rope seal & never had a rope seal leak, using the same installation procedure I have used on every Pontiac motor. I am sure the BOP seal is a great product, but still curious why so many enthusiasts are havin' a prob w/ the rope seal deal???

Old 04-28-2001, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I concur with what Wade says. I have installed several Cadillac seals, and the last one leaked badly. I even installed another one in case I screwed it up. Also leaked. I have talked with people at the track with much more engine building experience than mine, and the comment is that it is a crapshoot. I too had never had trouble with the rope seal - until the last one in my 428 that replaced the leaking neoprene seal. I am extremely pleased that someone made the investment to make a first class rear main seal for Pontiac engines.

Gach – If you haven’t seen the new seal, you should.

BOP Engrg (Wade and Mark) – Thank you for being life savers.

------------------
Jim

Old 05-03-2001, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$29.99
Go here to order online or call 608-271-2365

https://w115.securedweb.net/bopengin...tore/c508.html

------------------
www.bopengineering.com

www.bopengineering.com
Old 04-25-2001, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

Had a rope seal in my 455... leaked very little. Got smart and installed a caddalac rear main vitron seal ( per an article in Hi Po Pontiac magazine.... leaks like crazy!!!!!
tom

Old 04-28-2001, 12:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guy,
In addition to leakage from rope type seals in general, the mandated removal of asbestos from the factory type rope seals, has increased leakage dramatically. Many engine builders will no longer warranty their engines against leakage. These new rope seals can be identified by a bright white center core as opposed to the brownish colored old seals. I noticed in your bio that you look up to Jim Hand, ironically he is the one to bring this problem to the public realm.

------------------
www.bopengineering.com

www.bopengineering.com
Old 04-28-2001, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

None taken, but is that why Greg was working on an aluminum adaptor to use another brand of rubber seal in the 3 inch main application awhile back? The fact is people have been trying to substitue those seals for years with limited success. Just look back at the comments on this board over the past 3 years. And it's such a pain in the A$$ to change one once it's leaking, why would you want to bother when the correct seal is available?

------------------
www.bopengineering.com

www.bopengineering.com