WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

I'm going tomorrow and drive an '04 M6 equipped GTO and a 2000 Vette. If I like them,(one or the other, or both), I will probably buy one soon. I'll post my opinions on here asap! Who knows, I might not like either one.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:33 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> tell me what part of this car is pontiac ? the badge ? and what else ? ill be waiting on your answer.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pontiac says it is! If you change some sheet metal or body parts and re-badge an Envoy and sell it as Ranier, then it's a Buick. Why is a Marquis a Mercury? Because FOMOCo says so!! There are no 'Mercury ' engines nowadays, there are no 'Dodge' engines, and there are no Pontiac, Buick, Chevy, GMC engines anymore. You guys need to get past that and move on!!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the price advice on the C5, I've seen '98 convertibles for $18k lately.
Red70goat, neither car would be my daily driver, but thanks for the input. I would have to be comfortable in whatever I buy.
Besides my 2 old show cars, I've got a lowered Durango that I drive to work and an STS for my weekend/travel car. I'm not sure why I want any more insuarance bills, but you know how us car guys are!
Old 12-23-2004, 06:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 70455RA:
. You can't go wrong with a C5. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

&gt;&gt;&gt; No argument there. In some Corvette Communities it is agreed the C5 was the best Vette made: Killer looks uniquely Corvette, relatively affordable sticker price, 13+ second 1/4s, great handling and comfort, no gas guzzler tax and still get 27-28 mph. I plan to be buried in mine. The GM Monaro has similar qualities but is a big loser in the looks dept. Regardless of performance that will be the death of this car if GM doesn't change some things on a pro-active and not a reactive basis.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:53 PM

I agree, Humbler!! It's exactly the kind of "big loser" looks I LOVE! BTW, what kinda wheels you have on that? They're not stock are they??
Old 12-18-2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Chief

I drove the GTO, for about 15 minutes, but I'm going to pick it up and keep it for a few hours and ride my wife around, let her drive and all that before I decide. It is a very nice car, quiet, smooth and powerfull, I didn't go ga ga, though, we'll see. The Corvette was sold, so I'll have to find another one to try!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Randy, don't overpay for the Vette if you end up liking it. The C5 cars are great machines, but the C6 coming out KILLED the resale of the C5's. I saw a perfect 2000 model with only 17,600 miles sell for just $23K this week. Don't pay the "Vette tax" on those things, as it will depreciate almost as fast as that '04 GTO will.

Mike M
Old 12-17-2004, 09:15 PM
Senior Chief

I'm going tomorrow and drive an '04 M6 equipped GTO and a 2000 Vette. If I like them,(one or the other, or both), I will probably buy one soon. I'll post my opinions on here asap! Who knows, I might not like either one.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Big loser...yeah right...

This car is freakin gorgeous, all you bandwagoners just can't admit it...
Old 12-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

Now I wasn't talking wife rides here! My wife has a Montana and a '68 Firebird 400 H.O. 4spd. convertible. Red w/white top and interior.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Randy, there are tons of Vettes out there - just insist on a low mileage one since the value will reflect accordingly in a few years.

When my wife (fiancee then) arrived from England, I had a garage full. A '69 SS Camaro, a '69 Corvette, and a new Harley Dyna Wide Glide. And then the two cars I used as daily drivers.

After about three months, she asked why all the perfect conditions cars in the garage never got driven. Thus began my 'education' that one can apparently have too many cars :-)

Mike M
Old 12-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randy W:
Thanks for the price advice on the C5, I've seen '98 convertibles for $18k lately.
QUOTE]

That's what I've got: A 98 pewter metallic silver convertible with "oak" interior. It is a rare color combination that seems to be in demand these days, probably because of the sea of red Vettes out there. GTOs notwithstanding ( I've owned 3), there's nothing like blasting down the road on a warm summer evening in a Convertible C5 with the top down! If you get a convertible, get a "Vette Net". It makes top down driving a real joy. vettenet1.com. I think GM would do well to offer a really good looking convertible modern day GTO as well.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:37 PM

I don't think my wife would ever try to controll the garage. She doesn't care how many cars I have. The more toys I get the more toys she gets. Of course she grew up with cars. Her dad has 7 vettes and a C6 vert on the way. You can't go wrong with a C5. I think I like them more than the C6.
Old 01-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> what pisses me off is people are buying the name or badge and not the car. tell me what part of this car is pontiac ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew! I am glad I didn't piss you off, since I bought the car DESPITE the badging......

Oh, and as die hard Pontiac'er that I am, I can still recognize that the LS-1 is one of the best performance oriented engines ever built, even if it is a "Chevy"....... I wish my Pontiac engines had some of the features that the LS-1 has........ I've owned numerous Ponchos, and 2 LS-1s. Which one do you think I'd rather have in my daily driver? (Hint.......not the Ponchos)

The LS-1 is a NO compromise engine, (well, except for the bore spacing and rod journal diameter). It is mild mannered in a daily driving situation with good fuel economy to boot. You get all the power, without the hassles of an older engine.

What are you guys clinging to? It is 2005.

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 12-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Johathan, and single guys are always saying married men don't pay for sex :-)

I can't complain though - I still have my fair share of nice rides. And investing that money that was just sitting idly in the garage turned out to be a fairly profitable exchange ...

Mike M
Old 12-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy W:
I'm going tomorrow and drive an '04 M6 equipped GTO and a 2000 Vette. If I like them,(one or the other, or both), I will probably buy one soon. I'll post my opinions on here asap! Who knows, I might not like either one. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As someone who owns a C5 I can tell you it is a top notch sports car and a lot of fun to drive, but a bit unpractical as a daily driver. The 04 would probably be closer to a modern day musclecar if that's what you're looking for. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by humbler:
Big loser...yeah right...
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachm...tid=5944&stc=1 http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/attachm...tid=5941&stc=1
This car is freakin gorgeous, all you bandwagoners just can't admit it... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i didnt know pontiac made the cavalier. or is that a neon? no dodge makes those. GTP? grand prix? ohhhh its a GTO.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

thats why i have my 69. its a real pontiac with a real pontiac engine. you say "because pontiac says so" that sounds like when id ask my parents for something when i was a kid and they told me no and couldnt think of a better reason then "i said so". does that mean if ford claims the 05 mustang is better then the 05 GTO then its true?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to The Who Send a message via MSN to The Who

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 68GTOConv:

When my wife (fiancee then) arrived from England, I had a garage full. A '69 SS Camaro, a '69 Corvette, and a new Harley Dyna Wide Glide. And then the two cars I used as daily drivers.

After about three months, she asked why all the perfect conditions cars in the garage never got driven. Thus began my 'education' that one can apparently have too many cars :-)

Mike M <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've breen brain washed
Old 01-10-2005, 02:08 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by judge_jury_executioner_69:
thats why i have my 69. its a real pontiac with a real pontiac engine. you say "because pontiac says so" that sounds like when id ask my parents for something when i was a kid and they told me no and couldnt think of a better reason then "i said so". does that mean if ford claims the 05 mustang is better then the 05 GTO then its true? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehhh.. I won't even try to respond to this *reasoning*, I'll just sit here a snicker awhile.