Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why these Dynomax ST Mufflers were such a different price at Jeg's.

289-17734 2-1/2'' Offset; 2-1/2'' Offset; 4-1/4'' x 9-3/4'' x 14''L $34.99
289-17676 2-1/2'' Offset; 2-1/2'' Offset; 4-1/2'' x 9-3/4'' x 14''L $49.99

It's because the later is same side outlet, according to Summit but not noted on Jeg's, man I wonder if anyone has ordered these and been like what the H&%$ when they opened the box!

Score:
Summit - 2 (other point is for Esterle), Jeg's - 0

"The Humbler is here, this is the way it's going to be baby!"

Old 07-25-2003, 10:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to liljg

hey scott, does summitt carry the dynomax cerama-coat headers? i know jegs does but i would prefer to buy all of my stuff from summit. i have '68 gto w/air and p/s. also, i was wondering if they(any headers) need to b e put on prior to isntalling engine or after-- i am shipping the engine out) thanks

Dave Whipple

Old 06-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets get the volume discount for Butler, Ace, Dude!

Old 07-25-2003, 05:45 AM

I always deal with Summit and have never had a problem with them. Fast shipping, most items in stock, no hassle returns. I can't say the same for Jeg's I had a problem with them a couple years ago and have not dealt with them since.

Old 07-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What Hot Rod said. The Dist has no idea where its at as long as the fireing order is correct. When you installed that cam 4 degrees advanced that most likely fixed your problem not the dist.

Old 07-16-2003, 06:39 AM
Senior Chief

I`ve only ordered from Summit in fact I placed an order with them last night.Always quality service and fast shipping.Usually gets to me in 2 days.http://www.cardomain.com/id/gto_guy]www.cardomain.com/id/gto_guy[/URL]

Old 07-18-2003, 05:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Even though I didn't get through all the letters but I deal with Jeg's exclusivly due to the fact that they are racers. Being a native of Ohio before moving to North Carolina 8 1/2 years ago I lived in Columbus for 4 years before moving south. I knew each of the Coughlin boys personally and the assistant manager (Mike Digham) at the 11th Ave store was a Pontiac man and always gave me good advice on parts for my 71 GTO. Also I know and have raced with on of the guys in the fab shop and even though he runs Mopars he also was helpful with questions I may have had at the track (National Trail Raceway). I have only ordered from Summit one time and friends of mine order from both places and have had pretty good service from both. But awhile back I was looking through a Summit book at the newsstand and they had an article on building a 400 Pontiac engine and I questioned the distributor placement and got told by someone at Summit that it didn't matter where or how the distributor was set. Sorry but I have found that distributor placement on a Pontiac is critical (better known as phasing) and if the factory meant for a distributor in a Pontiac to be set up like a Chevy they would have made it that way. Nothing against Summit but I'll stay where I'm happy, and my name goes back for over twenty years in Jegs computers and hopefully will be there for twenty more.

A poor man has poor ways.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Even Scott will have to admit the Monster Garage Rail Hotdog Cart was pretty cool!

Yep I did notice that moronic announcer misspronouncing JEG Coughlin's name about 5 times. I just bet he hates being called "JegS" too!

I have not ordered any parts in a while but back in the day I used to deal mostly with PAW (Performance Automotive Wholesale), hmmm I wonder what ever happened to them?

"Nothing Beats an Ol' Goat..."

Old 07-28-2003, 04:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey,
Allen FYI #1 could care less where it's at as long #1 on the distributor cap and the rotor match up, as you stated they had the vacuum advance in like a chev, who care's where it's at the engine doesn't care, it just wants fire when the fuel it there!
#1 can be anywhere you want it to be as long as the firing order is correct. "We are not talking about new vehicle DIS systems and computer controlled system now, just run of the mill GM that's all".
The one vehicle that comes to mind is some of the Ford electronic ignition systems that have one vain that is thinner than the other ones so that the computer can sence #1.

ASE Master Technician, and College Automotive Instructor NVCC!

Outlaw Pontiac Racers Association
"For Those Who Live the Legend"

"WELCOME TO THE NO SPIN ZONE!"

[This message was edited by Hot Rod on July 28, 2003 at 07:34 AM.]

Old 07-28-2003, 09:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, what Hot Rod and Scott said.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 08-10-2003, 04:38 PM

JEGS S--ks!!
When I started they were the ones I was going to use. With alot of Money in the Block & Crank I went to them for the fully groved Bearings.Well the day came to assemble the engine and they had sent me 400 bearings for the crank and the correct 455 rod bearings.I had the right people to ensure the bottom end was right so I had to get bearings elswhere and build it. So,the next business day, I called checked the PN's and JEGS admitted wrong part sent! No Refund ! Those Bearings are still displayed on my peg board as a reminder to never trust those persons again. Summit on the other haas sastified my every need build this 67 Goat for 6 yrs.

Old 07-28-2003, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Allan you are talking about setting timing and Hot Rod is talking about which hole to make the #1 plug hole on the distributor. They are entirely two differernt subjects. What Hot Rod says is correct. As in his example, you can make the #6 hole in the distributor the actual #1 plug hole and go from there and set the timing.

Ron

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 07-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well what really turned me off on Summit was when I sent an e-mail a few months ago concerning an 400 Pontiac article they have in their newsstand book and it showed the distributor turned like a Chevy with a backwards vaccum diaghram. The response I got was that it didn't matter how a distributor was set in an engine for it to run. Sorry but after nearly thirty years of turning wrenches for a hobby and living I have found that distributor placement is very critical on engine performance, now matter what kind of vehicle it is. Those out there that may know me, know how particular I am with the work that I do, especially tuning. Another pooint to prove this fact is a 400 Pontiac that I did about a year ago. The engine only had about 400 miles on it. The engine had standard bearings on a .010-.010 crank, 501 lift Comp cam. late model pistons ( the block was a 70 model) the distributot set backwards,(like a Chevy) and 3.90 gears and didn't have the power to even break the back tires loose at a 3 grand drop of the clutch. After proper machine work and setting the cam at 4 degrees advance (which I have found to be the best setting for this cam in a Pontiac) and setting the distributor correctly this engine would turn the car sideways at just the touch of the gas. I have spent countless hours properly setting the distributor in my 71 GTO for proper performance. Mr Holmes knows me personally and knows how well my 71 runs and I have helped him set up some of his projects. And Mr Holmes has had some very fast Pontiacs here in recent years, but he can also tell you that not many basically stock 3800 lb GTO's can pull the front wheels on launch at the strip with a 3.55 open rear-end. The key, proper tuning, attention to detail and setting the suspension up right. So when I notice something that doesn't look right to me, I question it. and when I get a response to a technical question and get told it doesn't matter, that lessens my faith in the people giving advice for that particular company, and thus lessens my faith in that company. I'm not saying that Summit is a bad company to deal with, I just personally don't have much faith in their tech advisors. And yes Roger I'm starting to feel better, hopefully be back in action in a few days.

Old 06-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have done thousands of dollars of business with Jegs. I even returned a set of heads that I had painted and then decided that I didn't want and got full credit.

I've also done a ton of business with summit.

I find that summit has parts that jegs doesn't, and vice versa.

Either company is good. I've had absolutely no problems with either company.

Old 07-28-2003, 01:52 PM
Senior Chief

liljg,Summit does have the Dynomax ceramic coated headers,but I`d advise you to stay away from them the fit is horrible.

www.cardomain.com/id/gto_guy

Old 07-28-2003, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if ya'll want ot believe that ld wives tale go ahead. I have found that as much as 2-3 tenths can be gained by doing it right. I learned that years ago on a small block Chevelle I had several years ago. Set it in and wired it accordingly, ran fine but not the power it should have. After about 2 hours of working to reset it and get in right , I fried a pair of H-50X14 Mickey Thompsons with no problem. Before that it would hardly turn them over on a wet road so that is all I have to say on the subject. Besides the performance of my Ram Air IV cammed stock 400 is proof of the theory of doing it right.

Old 07-17-2003, 06:57 PM
Senior Chief

Goatrider,

Yep, I still work there. The discount is very fair, but there's still a lot of stuff we can't get, especially Pontiac specific stuff, so I have to shop elsewhere too.

"My car would be fast if it had an engine, transmission, and rear axle in it."

Old 06-04-2003, 04:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone noticed the prominence of Jeg's with the TV shows? Monster Garage, Trucks, Horsepower, etc. I just thought it to be interesting that all of the sudden you see Jeg's all over that market.

Anyone catch Coughlin racing Jesse James Hot Dog Cart? Pretty hilarious I thought.

Did you also catch the announcer call him Jegs Coflin? It's Jeg right not Jegs?

"The Humbler is here, this is the way it's going to be baby!"

Old 07-17-2003, 06:49 AM

I prefer Jegs. I have never had a problem with their shipping -- I once ordered a part from their website on Friday night and I had the part on Tuesday. I thought that was great. They send stickers and a catalog with every order. In short, I have never had an interaction with Jegs that did not exceed my expectations.

Old 06-04-2003, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott's 'da man!
Now if he could only talk the purchasing people into volume buying of Pontiac specific parts!!!
Like IA blocks, Crower cranks, turnkey EFI systems, etc...
Man, whatta wonderful world it would be.

I do order from Jegs when Summit is out of things I need quickly, or are closed for Memorial day?

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY.
I Misus Rash'!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!