Old 11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Suspended

Default Bucket install 64

I'm having a set of 63 Grand Prix seats re-done in dark blue and want to install a console for my Hurst Dual Gate. I'm having them done in the same pattern as the seats in the photo.

Does anybody have any photos of a 62 Grand Prix or 64 2+2 interior? I prefer the flat style console (anybody have one they want to sell or trade?).

Or I may convert an old Drag Fast or Hurst (standard) shifter and just have the buckets with the shifter. I would swap out the column bowl for floor shift bowl and keep the stock dash quadrant.

Any thoughts?
Thank you...

Last edited by PITTSBURGH 64; 11-25-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff,

I always liked the floor shift without console on a bucket seat car.

I attached a couple of the GP that Freddie sent before we started on the car, but not sure if they'll post big enough.

I'm going to Snyders today and I'll see what he has and snap a few pictures for you. I'll also take a few of the bucket seat mounts so you can get an idea on brackets for your car.

-r-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	interior3.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	147655  
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

When instaling the seat mounts to the floor. Look carefully and you can find the indents where they spot weld them to the floor. The places are there you just have to looks for the spots.

Old 11-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Thanks guys...

I don't know how I'll mount them, I don't have seat porches for the floor but thanks for the tip Blackcat, I never knew that, it will help when positioning the brackets.
The only porches I ever saw for the Bonneville were from Franks and I'm not willing to prostitute myself to his abuse for car parts.
I'm thinking I'll make brackets from angle iron. I also want to have a up and down adjustment.

There was a nice shifter on e-Bay but it finished at $700! Yep, I'll make one. One thing thats nice about the shifter only route is less weight and I could e-Bay all my console stuff....

Last edited by PITTSBURGH 64; 11-06-2008 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:33 PM

I would think that the porches from a Cat /Bonnie /G/P would be the same with just the position being different.

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSBURGH 64 View Post
I'm having a set of 63 Grand Prix seats re-done in dark blue and want to install a console for my Hurst Dual Gate. I'm having them done in the same pattern as the seats in the photo.

Does anybody have any photos of a 62 Grand Prix or 64 2+2 interior? I prefer the flat style console (anybody have one they want to sell or trade?).

Or I may convert an old Drag Fast or Hurst (standard) shifter and just have the buckets with the shifter. I would swap out the column bowl for floor shift bowl and keep the stock dash quadrant.

Any thoughts?
Thank you...
I would go for it with the regular console that you have & wait to find the flat type. Then you are done.

I also like the idea of the shifter by itself in the floor (you could make a nice base for that easy, but with the rare dual gate, it seems a shame not to use the original console. I think it might grow on you. A Bonneville with that shifter & console combo would be super rare.

I swapped guts from the column shift to a floor shift collar no problem. It is like doing a Rubick's cube. Tube is slightly different, but you can not see it.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 11-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Suspended

The console I have might be a little rough. I'll post some photos of it and see what you guys think...I kinda wanted to keep the 8 track under the ash tray for nostalgia reasons..

Last edited by PITTSBURGH 64; 11-25-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSBURGH 64 View Post
The console I have might be a little rough. I'll post some photos of it and see what you guys think...I kinda wanted to keep the 8 track under the ash tray for nostalgia reasons..
Wonder if you could cut out the section with the Vac gauge & put that in there?

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 11-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Suspended

Oh man the Rubik's cube! Back in the long long time ago, we use to try to work them out while smoking our own special blend of home rolled ciggerrettes....

Old 11-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rough 64 console parts

I have some. If you need some parts to get you by until you find better ones let me know.

Greg

Old 11-07-2008, 09:23 PM

I put a Hurst Dual Gate shifter in the factory console of my 64 GP...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9-6-06 021.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	147799  

Old 11-08-2008, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1959 View Post
I put a Hurst Dual Gate shifter in the factory console of my 64 GP...
That is NICE. I like the look of that era dual gate. Goes perfect with the '63-4 style.

Like Jeff said - what model is that?

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 11-07-2008, 09:43 PM

By the way Jeff, I like what you did with the gauges. I plan on doing the same thing...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Carguy, that looks fantastic!! What shifter is that?

I used Autometer mechanical gauges. With the oil pressure, buy the better stainless hose. A broken oil pressure hose inside the car can be a real disaster!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Thanks for the comments. I bought the shifter off ebay about 4 years ago. I don't know the model #. It came in a Hurst Box new. May have been around along time and never used, don't know. Speaking of buckets, I have added a picture of my seats as well. The seats are out of a 98 GP 2 dr (that is very important if you want them to fold forward). The rear seat is from the same car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	car show 010.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	147895   Click image for larger version

Name:	9-6-06 023.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	147896  

Old 11-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was it a lot of work to adapt the newer seats to your car?

Old 11-08-2008, 10:49 PM

I had to cut the original seat brackets and new ones and bolt and weld them together. It took a little time test fitting them before final fitment, but it wasn't to bad. I think I did have to shim the back a little.
Steve

Old 11-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jeff: It's not that difficult to do the swap from bench to buckets in your Bonneville. But, I would highly suggest that you find a donor car for the porches. Alignment is critical for proper seat movement. You can add a power bucket seat and have the ability to adjust it up/down and forward/back. I attached a picture of the inside porches that you would have to add. (As shown in my Catalina when I replaced the carpet).

I have also shown a picture of a floor section cut out from a grand prix. I had a similar cutout that I used in my Bonneville which went from a bench seat to a set of buckets. I have a power seat track that the driver's seat will eventually get. From what I measured all the full size 63's had the same porch configuration/dimensions for the buckets. I assume the 64's are similar.

When you install that hurst gate shifter, you have to cut the center console base for it to go in. So basically, you make a comittment not to go back to the original center console shifter and top plate. But, if you decide not to use it, remember, I get first dibs...

I added a picture of my Catalina console with the Hurst gate shifter.

Also, I will be taking my buckets and interior out of my Catalina next week and also during the first week of December in preparation for a complete re-paint. So, if you need some more pictures, dimensions or a template for alignment let me know by this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bucket Seat Mounts for 63 FS.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	148285   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 cat driver bucket seat  mounts.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	148286   Click image for larger version

Name:	63 cat console with buckets.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	148287  

Old 11-14-2008, 12:06 AM
Suspended

Zig, actually my buckets are from a 63 so your photos will be a big help. I'd like a 62 GP or 64 2+2 console but I'll probably use the 63 Grand Prix unit that came with my seats.
Those brackets look like something I can make up with some angle iron I have here.

Do I need an old shifter for parts to make the Hurst unit work?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jeff:

I am not sure what you have with the hurst shifter. Did it have the neutral safety switch already mounted?

The bracket I sent to you for mounting the hurst shifter to the floor should work and it should bring it to the proper level. I would also suggest to but some sort of insulating gasket between the floor and bracket. Otherwise, heat transfer will warm-up your shifter. The original pontiac shifters had insulating disks under the shifter mount.

I may have that 2+2 console that your looking for at my Dad's..I'll check when I am up there. I think I have about a dozen or so consoles packed away up in his attic. But, I have a thought on another way you could do it and keep your 8-track player. I have an almost NOS console from a 64 pontiac at my house here in Florida. I paid a fortune for it. I will make some mods to it (I will not damage it) and send you a picture of what I am talking about and get your thoughts. I will try to do this this weekend.

Before you start cutting and other things you may want to verify that you have all the correct wiring to do the conversion. There is one set of wires that everyone tends to forget when they pull the console from a donor car to do the changeover. Currently, on your column shift, on the top of the column under the dash you have your neutral safety switch (NSS) mounted directly on the column. There is about a four or five wire grouping on the center console cars that connects where your current NSS plug-in is to your column NSS and transfers this function to the console NSS mounted on the shifter. This grouping also transfers power (connects to the door switches) so your console rear mounted light comes on when you open either door. If I remember correctly from my earlier conversation with you, I think you by-passed the NSS on your existing column car. So, if you do not have the wire group, you will have to do the same. But, your rear console light will be disfunctional.