THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1970 BFG Firebird race car for sale

The famous BFG "Tire Bird" Trans Am is for sale, the first car to win a Trans Am race with radial tires. Always loved this car. Here's the link for more detail (and pics), but I'm printing the description here in case the ad goes away.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...d/1411916.html

1970 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am First production car to win a race using radial tires Raced in Trans-Am, The Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, SCCA and CSCC club events Built by Jerry Titus' TG Racing Restored to a very high concours standard by Mark Mountanos Sponsored by BF Goodrich Radial Tires and driven by Canadian champion John Cordts and Larry Dent, this car was raced in Trans-Am, The Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, SCCA and CSCC club events. BF Goodrich made special tires for the team and they eventually became the first production car to win a race using radial tires. This was the third of three cars built by Jerry Titus' TG Racing for the 1970 Trans-Am season. Titus' partner Terry Godsall secured BF Goodrich sponsorship for the team at the end of the 1970 season. The team convinced the SCCA to allow this car to run with a Chevy engine instead of the problematic Pontiac engine base on the fact that Canadian Firebirds were delivered with Chevy engines. This car was entered in the 1971 Daytona 24 hours as a Firebird and then was converted to Camaro body work in time for Sebring. It remained in Camaro trim for the remainder of it's active racing carrier. The car was sold to Alfie Ruys de Perez and raced in Trans Am in 1972 with assistance from Mo Carter's team and then to Don Clement who campaigned the car in IMSA and local CSCC events. This car has been restored to a very high concours standard by Mark Mountanos and his team. The attention to detail down to the nut and bolt level is second to none. A huge collection of documentation, historic photographs, and interviews with Titus team members has insured a proper period correct restoration. The car has participated in just seven races since the restoration was complete including the Monterey Historics. Today the car is in spectacular condition, fully sorted, and race ready. Owned by a prominent west coast collector and vintage racer it has always had top quality care and preparation. The car looks as if the restoration had been completed yesterday! The car has only three race weekends since a complete race-prep. Tony Oddo built the Chevy engine which has only 12 hours of track time, and produced 485.1 hp and 377.6 torque on the Dyno. The T10 transmission has just been completely rebuilt by Tex Racing. 1970 Record Watkins Glenn Trans Am - Cordts , 22nd. (Goodyear tires) Canadian Trophy Race, Mosport - Cordts Watkins Glenn SCCA National - Cordts, 1st, A Sedan (first production car to win a race using radial tires.) 1971 Record Daytona 24 Hours - Cordts, Pike , DNF Sebring 12 Hours - Cordts, Pike, DNF (converted to Camaro) Bridgehampton SCCA - Dent, 2nd Cumberland SCCA - Dent, DNF Lime Rock SCCA - Dent, 1st Bryar Trans Am - Dent, 16th Thompson SCCA - Dent, 2nd Road America June Sprints - Dent, 3rd Mid-Ohio SCCA - Dent, 3rd Nelson Leges SCCA - Dent, DNS 1972 Record Bryar Trans Am - Perez, 8th Mid Ohio Trans Am - Perez, 29th Watkins Glenn Trans Am - Perez, 9th Donnebrooke Trans Am - Perez, 26th Road America Trans Am - Perez, 8th Saniar Trans Am - Perez, 14th About Jerry Titus In 1967, Jerry Titus was the Trans-Am Champion racing a Ford Mustang for Carroll Shelby. In 1968 and 1969, he was third in the Trans-Am series. He had 43 career races with 4 wins in the 1967 race season. He had 5 poles, and 7 wins in his career as a driver or co-driver. At the final 1968 Trans-Am race at Kent, the big news was that Jerry Titus was leaving Ford and moving to Pontiac. Terry Godsall, a young Canadian businessman, offered Jerry a chance to run a team of his own Pontiac Firebirds. In going with Pontiac, Titus found that he was handicapped by the need of a great deal of developmental work, especially on the engine. Early on, Godsall pulled out of the Trans Am series, saying that the SCCA was inconsistent in its rule enforcement policies. Jerry then carried on the administrative responsibilities as well as driving for his team. In 1970, Jerry Titus decided to stop building Firebirds for customers and concentrate on his own race cars. Three cars were built. This BFG Tire Bird and the Titus car are the only cars that still exist. The third Trans Am Firebird was severely wrecked in a crash and eventually destroyed. The 1970 Season was Jerry's last season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Trans Am - BFG Tire Bird.jpg
Views:	3761
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	340439   Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 Trans Am - BFG Tire Bird 2.jpg
Views:	2349
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	340440  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeNoun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool car!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice ride. But the BFG tire bird riding on Goodyears? Just ain't right....

Old 10-21-2013, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again???!!!!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Tony Oddo built the Chevy engine which has only 12 hours of track time, and produced 485.1 hp and 377.6 torque on the Dyno......"
Chevy? Why?

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.
‘55 Catalina
‘62 Mercury Meteor-all original, bought new by my grandfather
71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.-now my sons ride
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They could never make enough power with the 303 RAV, so even back in 1968, the Pontiacs running in the Trans Am Series ran small block Chevys.

You had a dozen teams running Chevys, thousands of hours of r&d provided by Chevrolet, as well as the rich history of small block Chevrolets running in all sorts of auto racing series, and the 303 RAV just wasn't going to be competitive without a lot more development. I think I recall reading that the RAV 303 was down about 50-75 hp from the 302 Chevys, partly because the RAV ports were simply too big for the 303. They went so far as to use RAIV heads on the 303 to boost some torque, but eventually they gave up and simply used the proven small block Chevy 302 to get track time for the Firebirds.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
They could never make enough power with the 303 RAV, so even back in 1968, the Pontiacs running in the Trans Am Series ran small block Chevys.

You had a dozen teams running Chevys, thousands of hours of r&d provided by Chevrolet, as well as the rich history of small block Chevrolets running in all sorts of auto racing series, and the 303 RAV just wasn't going to be competitive without a lot more development. I think I recall reading that the RAV 303 was down about 50-75 hp from the 302 Chevys, partly because the RAV ports were simply too big for the 303. They went so far as to use RAIV heads on the 303 to boost some torque, but eventually they gave up and simply used the proven small block Chevy 302 to get track time for the Firebirds.
Mike they did make the 303 RA IV Work - Jerry Titus was hot lapping the field in one test in his 70 T/A and one of the 2 Built is still running with that engine in the Historic Trans Am SCCA Series
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_COR1502.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	340599   Click image for larger version

Name:	_SND9526.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	340600  

Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love minilites.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The price?...If you have to ask you can't afford it.

Been for sale for a while.

Old 10-21-2013, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow I always loved that car,,, it was just out of my snack bracket so to speak LOL.... The funny thing is I just handed off one of my cars to West Bend Dyno to complete a drive line change and and do the final prep for SEMA. We have had the good fortune of having MSD/Atomic EFI request the use of the car for their booth this year at SEMA.. the crazy part is I themed the build loosely after the BFG Tire Bird.... Time has been super short to pull all this together so I did the best I could do to pay some homage to the real car yet keep a fresh look about it too... Guess we'l see how things work out on the thrash as it'd be real cool to get the custom built side pipes on the build for SEMA....

Old 10-22-2013, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazzz2 View Post
Wow I always loved that car,,, it was just out of my snack bracket so to speak LOL.... The funny thing is I just handed off one of my cars to West Bend Dyno to complete a drive line change and and do the final prep for SEMA. We have had the good fortune of having MSD/Atomic EFI request the use of the car for their booth this year at SEMA.. the crazy part is I themed the build loosely after the BFG Tire Bird.... Time has been super short to pull all this together so I did the best I could do to pay some homage to the real car yet keep a fresh look about it too... Guess we'l see how things work out on the thrash as it'd be real cool to get the custom built side pipes on the build for SEMA....

That looks killer, Albert!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 10-22-2013, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

Car looks great Albert. Is it still in Ontario?

Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had to laugh when I saw the 73 fenders.......

Old 10-21-2013, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
Had to laugh when I saw the 73 fenders.......
This is a 73 TA bud,,, just a current day loose interpretation of a really cool piece of history that's all...

Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Norwood how do you know they're 73 fenders? I'm not seeing an underhood shot.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM
Suspended

Wink BTT per the For Sale Tire Bird OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
The famous BFG "Tire Bird" Trans Am is for sale, the first car to win a Trans Am race with radial tires. Always loved this car. Here's the link for more detail (and pics), but I'm printing the description here in case the ad goes away.

1970 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am First production car to win a race using radial tires Raced in Trans-Am, The Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, SCCA and CSCC club events Built by Jerry Titus' TG Racing Restored to a very high concours standard by Mark Mountanos Sponsored by BF Goodrich Radial Tires and driven by Canadian champion John Cordts and Larry Dent, this car was raced in Trans-Am, The Daytona 24 Hours, Sebring 12 Hours, SCCA and CSCC club events. BF Goodrich made special tires for the team and they eventually became the first production car to win a race using radial tires. This was the third of three cars built by Jerry Titus' TG Racing for the 1970 Trans-Am season. Titus' partner Terry Godsall secured BF Goodrich sponsorship for the team at the end of the 1970 season...
I saw this same car FS somewhere before! (3/31/2013) http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...648491&page=90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Here's another piece of Pontiac and Trans Am Road Racing history that is currently available. The seller claims this is one of three built, and one of the two remaining BFG Tirebirds.

Check out these links for more about this racer:

Hemmings Find of the Day
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...bird-tirebird/

1970 Pontiac Firebird Coupe

BFG TireBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Reprise

Old 10-23-2013, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not yours Albert.....The" Real" Tire Bird has 73 fenders on it. Built in 1970 with 1973 fenders . You know how us "purists" are. That Exhaust look should'nt be to tough.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
The" Real" Tire Bird has 73 fenders on it. Built in 1970 with 1973 fenders.
So, how do you tell the difference? I can spot all the details on early 60s big cars but I'm not as knowlegeable about F bodies.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In front of the hood hinge area are 2 bolt holes (plus they were indented area) where the stiffening bars went.
From fender to radiator support)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-23-2013, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I need is someone on this forum to build a similar car and come race with us in Outlaw Vintage. We have a 1st gen and 3rd gen, but no 2nd. Only a 2nd gen Camaro