Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:06 PM

Default Value of my restored 1965 gto

I am considering selling my 1965 GTO since I don’t seem to use it as much as I did after I finished a complete restoration a few years ago and would like to get an idea of the value. It is in excellent condition and here are a few features: year correct WS tripower engine, original Muncie m20 and Hurst 4-speed shifter, original 10-bolt with 3.55 gears, ram air exhaust manifolds into 2.5 inch custom bent Pypes exhaust system with X pipe, power front disc brakes conversion in front, 2-stage viper red paint with clear coat, all chrome/ trim in excellent shape, restored interior with Legendary seat covers and door panels, etc. Trying to get a realistic value, any opinions would be welcomed....moderators, if this is posted in wrong forum please move.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 PM
Suspended

Without photos its a crap shoot. Body & paint alone can go from 100 hours of block sanding down to a sanding disc on a drill. Obviously the quality is not going to be the same, neither is the value.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:43 PM

Professional paint job and body work. All original metal except for after market hood.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:37 PM

I will try to upload some pictures (not sure exactly how to do that)

Old 01-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM View Post
Professional paint job and body work. All original metal except for after market hood.
I had a 30 year "professional" paint my GP. When he was done I took it to a guy that knew what he was doing to have it re-done.

Quote:
I will try to upload some pictures (not sure exactly how to do that)

Old 01-13-2019, 08:44 PM

Not sure how to post more than 1 picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C4E5849-D957-43F5-AFEF-BE427713E456.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	502813  

Old 01-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Suspended

$26.5k - $28k cash-in-hand

Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 PM

Trying to post more pictures.....any opinions on value welcomed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1F43010E-B3BA-4CE7-B1B0-3D4EB5BCC677.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	502814   Click image for larger version

Name:	42228628-E6F2-4FE8-ADC9-88EBD0C71282.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	502815   Click image for larger version

Name:	445C6385-94BE-44EB-A39E-F02E439259EA.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	502816  

Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple of questions. Was this car originally a red on black car? I see you said it was not an original GM color. Was this a body off frame restoration, where the car went to the bare frame and all bushings, lines and suspension were replaced? Or was this a body on frame re-furbish with worn parts replaced? Frame, trunk floor and interior floor original? All these things have an effect on realistic value. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:35 PM

Yes to your questions - a complete frame off restoration. All new bushings & suspension, new gas tank and lines, entire drive train re-built. All sheet metal is original (including interior floor and trunk floor with new spatter paint) except for the hood. All original tinted glass (except windshield). 15 inch Raylle II wheels. 1965 WS tripower engine bored 0.30 over, 068 cam, scorpion roller rockers, RARE ram-air exhaust mainifolds, curved distributor, Pypes with X pipe. Original headliner and visors. Car was originally Capri Gold (not an attractive color in my opinion) with an original black interior with restored console - and I still have the original seat covers (worn but not ripped).
am radio (internals upgraded to am/fm with iPod input). I’m sure there is more than I’m listing at the moment....

Old 01-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
$26.5k - $28k cash-in-hand
Quote:
Yes to your questions - a complete frame off restoration. All new bushings & suspension, new gas tank and lines, entire drive train re-built. All sheet metal is original (including interior floor and trunk floor with new spatter paint) except for the hood. All original tinted glass (except windshield). 15 inch Raylle II wheels. 1965 WS tripower engine bored 0.30 over, 068 cam, scorpion roller rockers, RARE ram-air exhaust mainifolds, curved distributor, Pypes with X pipe. Original headliner and visors. Car was originally Capri Gold (not an attractive color in my opinion) with an original black interior with restored console - and I still have the original seat covers (worn but not ripped).
am radio (internals upgraded to am/fm with iPod input). I’m sure there is more than I’m listing at the moment....
Well more info makes a difference but having incorrect parts and missing parts still effects value.

People can claim and ask anything they want but cash-in-hand money would be $33k-$35k

Old 01-13-2019, 11:05 PM

I intentionally tried to restore/rebuild this goat keeping it close to originality but with certain parts and features that I like (modern paint, Rallye II wheels, smaller steering wheel, slight engine modifications and exhaust upgrades for greater performance, etc.). Although the original 4 bbl engine is long gone, it could be put back to original specs very easily....

Old 01-13-2019, 11:18 PM
Suspended

If you are thinking you have a $40k - $50k car you are in the same large group of people that have had their car for sale for years. A friend just bought a correct 70,000 mile California/Arizona '65 every bit as nice as yours maybe a tad better with original black frame, A/C, tilt, factory AM/FM and a few other goodies for $36k. We passed on a whole bunch of $40k - $45k cars that were more like $25k - $30k. Most of them were for sale for well over 1 year and some 2 years plus. That is why I use the cash-in-hand numbers not B-J numbers.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:28 PM

I wasn’t thinking any specific value, that is why I posted here for various opinions....thanks for your input.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't let go of that car for anything less than $30k, perhaps more. It's a pretty car, and looks very well presented even if it's not a factory correct restoration. Not everyone cares so much about being factory correct if the end result is a nice running and driving car.

Folks here can give you a general ball park and anecdotal evidence, which has some value, but if you're really serious about selling, you would be wise to consider a professional appraisal from someone who is in the business of appraising classic American collector vehicles.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 01-14-2019, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for your responses. Looks and "sounds from your descriptions" like a very nice car with up-grades to improve the performance some like the brakes and the exhaust manifolds. I am not as up on current prices as some here, but the numbers quoted seem a little light based on a frame off, even though not totally stock. As you know, for some, just the non-original color is a show stopper for them. For others, the steering wheel and the disc brake conversion are show stoppers. Some may even whine about the 15" wheels. Personally to me, the only thing I would have to change is the steering wheel. Just personal taste, certainly not a big deal. I would love to have a GTO with 15" rally wheels, disc brakes, and the HO manifolds and exhaust. It's close enough to stock that a buyer should be out there once a price is established and within reason. Good luck to you, a very nice car.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lately, all I've been seeing that's getting top dollar are the 'investment grade' classics, like as-built, correct, numbers matching restos, and even those are dropping. A lot of the professionally built resto-mods are getting bucks too.

All the nice 'drivers' are IMO insanely priced low, like high 20s-mid-to-high-30s. Many you can't even do a general restore for the money they sell for. It's certainly a buyer's market lately.

Properly documented, and well-done, a similar car as yours I would imagine to be in the mid-30s range, right buyer, maybe low-40s. A solid body, fresh drivetrain & suspension, and a good showing, will still bring money to those who want to drive the car. Being a 'real' GTO helps tons.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Absolutely agree it's a buyers market right now for super nice, lightly modified non-100% correct cars. Also agree you can't begin to restore one of these cars for what they are selling for, even doing everything yourself. A good friend of mine who buys and sells collector cars for a living, agrees. He told me there are 4 major factors depressing the collector car market for these kinds of cars. 1. The primary buyers of muscle cars of this period are aging to the point that health issues and having ready cash to deal with those potential problems are keeping them out of the market. 2. There was a huge influx of over-restored, super nice rotisserie restorations that are aging now. Many have been bought and sold several times and are showing some age. Many were restored with visions of crazy Barrett Jackson money that never happened. Owners are way upside down in cars they really didn't care about anyway. They just want out without losing money. 3. New cars continue to impress in the performance arena. Few buyers under 45 years old out there for muscle cars. Same money buys more performance in a newer car. 4. The very best, numbers matching, low mileage, correct in every way restorations are also experiencing small reductions in value. This puts them within reach of buyers who were settling for lesser vehicles further depressing the market. This guy knows his stuff, making a strong living buying and selling cars at just the right time. He says the hottest cars right now are super low mileage later model Jap cars like Supras, 240 Z's, Mazda RX7 Turbo, and that crap. Some of the prices he has sold that rice grinder crap for is mind boggling. More than a cool old GTO for sure.

Old 01-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

An old girlfriend had a 73 RX3, it was about the size of a Datsun B210. But with a rotary. Had a 140 speedo in it which made me laugh, until I drove it. That thing was scary fast, and would fry a tire more than a block long.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-14-2019, 12:09 PM
Suspended

A PHS on a GTO when selling is almost a must these days. Call it a cheap investment.