WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2004, 12:23 PM

Well, I would say the discounts and deals have certainly helped GTO sales. The figures were just released, and GTO sales were up 177% in the last month. Yes, you read that right 1-7-7 percent.

They sold 2,678 GTOs in September.

That's astonising. The GTO has been out for 10 months, and in the first half of that period (dec03 through apr04) they sold fewer GTOs than they did in the single month of September.

I think the verdict is clear. GM priced the GTO too high, and GM and the dealers kept sales down for the first 7 months. June was the low point, with only 598 units sold. Thereafter sales increased 50% in July, 8% in August, and 177% in September.

They've sold 8308 units since December 2003. If sales keep to the average then they will have 9972 unites moved in the first year. But if sales keep to the current level of about 2500 per month for the next two months, they will have sold about 13,300. That would be very creditable sales against the plan of 18,000 units in the first year.

I have to say that I am astonished by these numbers. I would expect sales to flounder as the 05 release comes up, since that seems a much more desirable car. Do you suppose people are hearing about the 05, and thinking that's what they are getting at the dealers?

DanZ