Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I've had it. I need some ideas.
Every once in a long while - (up until last night, it's been 6 months since the last time) - I'll go to the car and try to start it. When I turn the key, I get nothing at the starter. Absolutely nothing. Never the same instance. Could have sat all night, all weekend, or I just parked, got out and came back.
The battery is fine. 12.5+ volts every time. Last night I left the dome light on all night just to see what will happen in the morning. The car started just fine with 12.2 volts at the battery. The neutral safety switch is fine. The ignition switch on the column is fine. I even replaced it the last time the car did this. The battery has been checked too many times, and I even replaced it once.
When the car does this, all I have to do is hook up my battery charger or get a jump start hooked up literally for 2 seconds, and the starter spins like new, and the motor fires. Sometimes if I just walk away for an hour it will fire later with no problems, and no need for a jump.
Like I said, it's an all or nothing problem. When it starts, the starter spins healthy, and the motor fires. When the problem surfaces, I get absolutely nothing except the dash lights dimming to tell me I've turned the key. All the other systems work fine though. The car just won't spin the starter.
It will probably be 3-6 months before it happens again, but it always happens at the most inopportune time.

I'm completely baffled.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg