Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM

I have a "P" type 3.23 non-posi rear. I recently purchased a "P" type posi carrier unit from a car with 2.93 gears. My understanding is that the carrier for a 2.93 (mid-series) and 3.23 (low series) "P" type rear differs in where the ring gear mounting flange is positioned (which is necessary to accomodate the diffently sized pinion gears). However, I believe I CAN use the mid-series carrier with my low-series ring-gear IF I use a ring gear spacer orignally designed for a 12-bolt Chevy application.

Okay, all that out of the way, HERE is my question: Is the thickness of the Chevy ring gear I want to use (Mr. Gasket #902A), which is .310 inches, precisely the same as the distance I need to move the ring gear (ie closer to the pinion gear)?

Sorry for being wordy, and if I got any of the vocabulary wrong...I am on a steep learning curve! I would add, finally, that my car is street driven, not raced, so I am not terribly concerned about any reduced strengh associated with using longer ring gear bolts. Thanks for any advice.