Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2006, 03:48 PM

Default The Old Shop Towel In Front Of The Grill Test

My rebuilt 400 still wants to run hot at idle. Several people have given me good info. on various threads I have posted here about this problem. A couple of the posts said that an old trick to see if you're getting sufficient air flow at idle is to hold a shop towel in front of the grill and see if it blows in towards the radiator when ideling. Tried it today and at 750 RPM (auto tranny) idle the towel did NOT move until I boosted the RPM up to about 1,200 and then the towel sucked in towards the radiator. The fan blade I have is an old (at least 20 yrs.), don't know what brand, 7-blade, 18 inch, aluminum flex fan. 18 in. is the biggest I can run with my shroud. Is there a 18 in. flex fan out there that will provide more air flow at low RPM? I thought some of you might have tried various fans and found some that are better than others for increasing air flow at low RPM's. I called Flex-a-lite Tech. Support and they recommended their FLX-1818. It's a 7-blade, stainless steel, staggered type fan. They said the blades are in a staggered, uneven, pattern so it will run quieter. Has anyone run this particular fan blade?