Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
Very easy to say that it is easier with a Pontiac than a sbc. The sbc has a side exit just under the valve cover, just barely above the spark plugs. Now you can either burn the valve covers or the plug wires. With the Pontiac,You don't have either issue. As for no room, that's bunk. There is plenty of room. With a twin tubo set up, you should be placing them forward of the engine right? Or else on top, which while making only a couple hp better, won't allow you to do any thing on top (regardless of engine brand) if you say break a rocker arm. Sounds like you are looking for an off the shelve header arrangement of which there is no such thing for either type engine with turbo set ups. If you want manifolds, that's easy, just turn them around from normal, but why would you? On your style frame, The forward cylinders are very easy to run the tubes from, even easier than the set back sbc. The second pair of cylinders would turn down at a slight angle while going forward. Same with the rear middle cylinders. The rear tube can come forward after dropping down. Those would run along the frame rails with a slight bend back toward the block after it gets under the middle cylinders tubes. Not hard, just some thought and a little time. And it is alot cleaner looking than any sbc ever could be. Do you need me to do them for you?
well, still not sure im buying it. still seems alot easier to run a SBC and buy some spark plug insulators to protect the plug wires and fab up a simple heat shield in between the turbo and valve cover to keep it from cooking the valve cover and oil inside. (i would rather run manifolds that come up rather than to the front of the motor) I dont want to worry about having to remove the power steering pump and/or cooking my accessories.
I see the stainless steel manifolds all day long on Ebay. (i know that the quality is questionable) im even trying to design a TT SBC setup using cheap cast iron ram horns that you can get anywhere for 25 bucks. if one cracks, buy another. Thats not something you can do with a custom made Pontiac turbo manifold.

as for fabbing up manifolds for a Pontiac im pretty sure i have the mechanical aptitude to do it...it looks challenging to get the primaries to wrap around the mounting bolts etc..i just dont have the time or desire to dedicate to it.

Besides, i still dont see an answer to how im going to run the 3 inch down pipe on the drivers side if i were to run twins on the Pontiac.

i appreciate your time....my mind is still open...there is still time to save this old Pontiac. lol

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....