Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2008, 06:24 PM

Default 1960 tranny leak

O.k. so a couple of hours after I got home I found a huge puddle of tranny fluid under my tranny. about 3 ft. wide

i have a 1960 Ventura 389 / hydramatic .

I cleaned it up and noticed a leak coming from under the flywheel/ bellhousing cover plate, i dont know what the actual terminology of the plate is since i cant find it in my book,but the plate bolts up with about 6 bolts and has 1 small louver cut into it.Its definitely leaking tranny fluid where the louver is .

Before I go into dropping the tranny and doing exploratory surgery wanted to know if anyone knew what causes this and what the fix is.
the car was running great,but I did notice the tranny "slipping " a little when punched it.

If it was a (gulp),Ford, i'd know exactly what to do. But ive never pulled a pontiac tranny before and heard it was a pain in the butt.