Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default looking at buying a 1980 TA

I stumbled on a 1980 TA for sale locally. Might be worth an investment, but i've several questions that maybe someone can assist with.

Body seems decent but is has some cracking body up near the roof pass side - trying to describe it- it's between the T top and rear glass but not all the way up to the roof, but the "curved" section where the roof goes down into the quarter panel. Is this a common thing?
Or does it mean it was "wacked" in an accident?
Or does it mean a quarter was put on and a bad prep job?

One ding in where the drivers fender meets the nose (kid hit mom's car backing up one day)
and the paint is peeling on the nose in multiple spots. littel bubble where the D/S fender meets the hood- oh missing the shaker hood pan for the air cleaner, shaker is held tot he hood with little metal bars screwed to the under side of the hood.

Car supposedly has a 455- I found it is a YC block, but the 6X heads makes me think its a 400 out of a later 76-77 TA.
Has a Torker intake (not a T2) Edlebrock carb and rusty headers dual exhaust.

Took a flash light but couldn't see around the HEi to look at the date codes near the distributor. underneath looks decent 10 bolt limited slip w sway bar in rear. Welded in square stock for sub frame connectors.

Interior needs cleaning, seat covers and foam, dash pad, someones added gagues to the dash.

He said he's take $5000 for it but I'm thinking 4000 is more like it.

Any ideas where else I should look for hidden rust etc?

With the 455 I'd maybe go 4, but with a 400,,, $3000 tops- Am I crazy to go that high?

Howard

1968 Lemans Convertible, Burgundy/Parchment 1968 428YH motor, ported#16 heads, Crosswinds intake, Cliff Ruggle built 750 cfm Qjet, Comp Cams XE268-110 lobe sep. Duration at .050" lift 224/230, M20, 3:23 rear, PS, PB. Best time with need mods: 14.0071 in the 1/4 mile at 100.00 mph