Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Senior Chief

Question Holley 3310 tuning - Jets? Recommendations?

Car in question is my 80 T/A:
1968 "YA" 400, possibly 30 over. 1969 #62 heads. Motor internals are supposedly stock or very stock-ish (cam, etc). Edelbrock Performer, Holley 750 cfm 3310 carb (vacuum secondaries). Rebuilt HEI (Proform HEI tune up kit used). TH400 automatic, approx. 3.42 rear gear. The motor is getting tired, but still runs like a top (aside from a bad valve guide/seal).

The car runs very well, in my opinion. I have a couple small quirks with carb tuning though. For example, the car pulls strong off the line in gear, but then revving in park/neutral produces a slight stumble. Also, when in high gear doing about 40 mph, if I coast and then accelerate again (slowing down, and then resuming speed), the car almost feels like the trans slips. I am fairly certain this is a carb tuning issue and not transmission-related as the issue has occurred slightly later/earlier through a couple years of carb tuning/tweaking. It doesn't sputter, per se, but gives a slight rock/shudder for lack of a better term.

The carb is all stock, as shipped by Holley. I've added a quick-change secondary kit to it and I believe I have the medium spring installed. I've not touched jets, squirters/shooters, etc. I'm running the orange pump cam in position 2 at present, as this has helped the throttle response.

Can anyone make any suggestions on tuning for my combination? I know that there are a lot of "unknown" variables with the car/motor, but any suggestions (Jets, shooters/squirters, accel. pump cam, etc) would be appreciated to try to get the most out of this setup.

My car: 1980 Trans Am: 1968 400, 1969 #62 heads, TH400, Hedman Headers, Flowmasters, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Holley 750 cfm carb, 3.42 rear end