Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Axle bearings WTH

Well I decided to clean up the spare 8.2 and get it ready for Debs car.(her ol 8.2 has about 370000 miles on it and is just beat). So... I grind the rust off the spare from our old 69 parts car replace the pinion seal... internals in spare like new but axle bearings got rusty as it sat with backing plates off/axles loose in a not so dry area. (buried in a collapsed shed for a few years up in NY)

Anyway... these axles and housing dont have the sealed bearings that Debs 69 has. In fact her bearings and housing ends are bigger!... I took this rear from a rusty old 69 bird that we had for years(80's). This "parts bird" was a late build 69 the numbers all matched but it came with 1970 #11 heads vs the 69 heads and a few other updates over Debs early build 69... This rear has a mid 69 casting date and its definately not a Chevy 10 bolt.

This axle housing has two piece bearings (seal between retainer and bearing) that the outer race measures approx 2.55 OD ... Outer race pressed into housing end. The ID is same as Debs car. The axles themselves are identical. Look up bearings for a 69 bird and all you find are the larger 2.74 OD sealed bearings like Deb has in her car.

Any idea what bearing it takes? No way the timken RW507CR fits.

Help!!!