OHC-6 TECH Over Head Cam projects, questions and advice.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default High Tech Pontiac OHC L6

It's a slow day around here so I though I'd pop this up on another forum incase anyone else found it interesting, and to justify a Buick guy on a Pontiac board I've been working on building an OHC straight six engine, well actually it'll eventually be two engines, but this first one is more or less proto-typing for my good build that will involve a custom intake and sufficiently sized turbo along with a ported head and a re-ground race cam. It'll be ran with sequential fuel injection with COP ignition all controlled by a MegaSquirt 3.

The main build can be found here: http://sohcsix.yuku.com/topic/2700/G...serious?page=1

This engine here is a '69 250, with a '69 1bbl head and '66 4bbl intake and exhaust manifolds. The head and bottom end were pulled apart for inspection then put right back together, rings, bearings and all. The 1bbl cam was toast, so I have a good used 1bbl cam to start the engine up with and if it does well I have a new 4bbl cam to install. The modification list to date include:
1) Removed the restrictor/orfice tube and replace it with a straight tube
2) Drill and mount an external oil pressure regulator to the head and lash adjuster galley
3) Replace the main oil pressure relief spring with one that should boost pressure to ~60-80psi.
4) Drilling the intake manifold and JB welded injector bungs into it
5) Mounted LS coil packs to the engine.
6) Modified the points distributor for a cam sensor

Here are a couple older pictures. Ignore the rubber hoses, it was an idea I abandoned.

I've built part of a rudimentary engine run stand to test out the oil pressure modifications prior to installing the engine into the car. Of course it'll let me test the EFI set up as well. I still need to make the control panel among a few other minor details.

This is how it sits today. The fuel injectors are wired up and the ignition coils are partially wired up. I'm starting to feel like I can see light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm particularly proud of my cam sensor. I just hope it works! (it should)

And the car it's going into is a '69 Firebird. I've already changed out the motor mount brackets for the L6 ones, but still need to plumb the fuel lines and do some minor wiring. I have a 2004r that I'm going to rebuild to stick behind it. The MegaSquirt should do a good job of controlling the lock up converter I'll probably start looking for a 4L65e down the road when I go turbo.

And the car patiently sits in a horse stall waiting for it's new engine

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)