Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Oil Pressure drop

OK, this is a new motor with maybe 150 miles at most. It has a high pressure pump from Kauffman, but it's just a stock pump....nothing blue printed/exotic.

Driving, the pump carries 60-65# but then it will drop to about 40# and stays there. When the rpm's drop a little it will jump back up to 60#, but then soon drops off again. I was watching it in the driveway this morning and it does the same thing. Oil pressure was about 60# on fast idle then I noticed it was down to about 40#. Increasing the rpm up to 60-65# it suddenly drops off to 40#.

My guess the bypass is opening, but thought I would poll the experts for their take on this issue. I took pump apart to look for any foreign material when I put motor together, but made no mods to it myself.

Gauge is a new S&W mechanical and picking up the pressure off the oil filter adapter.
10W-30 with a Wix filter. This is the second oil change as I have removed the break in oil and filter. 1st oil filter did have some debris in it but very experienced engine builder friend of mine said it looked normal to him given it was a new motor.

No other problems with this engine that I know of except for the noisy H/R Comp Cam lifters! That's a whole 'nother matter!!

All rods were between .0015 and .002 when I put it together (using plastigage)
Mains .002
Thrust .008

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Jerry