THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Default I bought another car

So, I sold off most of the "project cars" and "parts cars" that I don't have time to work on. I kept my 66 Tempest convertible because it is roadworthy and just plain fun to drive. My wife and I also own an 08 Suburban (bought for vacation road trips, but also used as my wife's commuter), an 05 Sierra crew cab (bought for hauling bikes, etc with the whole family), a 99 S-10 step-side (acquired for use as a 4 cylinder, yard vehicle) , a 98 Sierra step-side (owned since new), a 97 Mustang GT convertible (wife always wanted a convertible mustang), and a 96 Ford handicapped mini-van (bought for parents, but currently off the road).

Now, I realize, to most people, owning this many cars is ridiculous. Especially, considering I already downsized by A LOT. Well, my wife told me she wanted to trade in the Suburban for a newer, lower mileage vehicle. She was considering a Toyota Sequoia. She even has some money saved up. The members of our family are all tall, so back seat floor space is important (a reason my daughter hates sitting in the back seat of the Mustang). Well, we priced some vehicles, and saw the crazy $40k plus price tags for used ones.

I tried to convince my wife to keep the Suburban strictly for trips, and buy a new sedan. So, we went to a dealership on a Sunday to look at the sedans without any hassle from salesmen. We looked at the spacious Impala and Lucerne, among others. But then, at the back of the lot, by the mechanics bay, I saw it. I think my heart stopped for a second. I couldn't believe it. It was an 09 G8 GT with 48k miles. The back seat room was huge as far as cars go these days. Plus it has a sun roof, aftermarket wheels, and it's black. I've never even seen a G8 GT up close, in person before. I told my wife, "This is it." To which she said, " No it isn't. It's too old.". I wasn't going to give up that easily. We discussed it, and agreed to borrow enough from my 401k to pay off the Suburban, the Sierra, and the G8. The finances seemed doable, and in fact, in our favor.

So, we contacted the dealership to buy the G8. The following weekend we went in to test drive and get a closer look. That's when I started noticing aftermarket performance pieces, both under the car, and under the hood. The car drove great, so we started working with the salesman. The dealership would not offer any warranty on the vehicle, because Kooks headers (minus cats) had been installed by the previous owner. I was ready to walk away. Buying a vehicle with unknown modifications like that, could lead to a real mess. Who knows what performance mods have been done? The salesman lowered the price even lower, and we agreed. A better barterer would have gotten the price even lower than that, but I got what I wanted for a fair deal.

Let me tell you, this car is faster, and more agile than I ever imagined. It's well balanced, and hooks up like a boss. When I step on the accelerator, it goes, and it goes fast. I have yet to even spin tires on it. It hugs corners with ease. I know there is a G8 GXP which is faster, but I can't even imagine what that is like. Plus it gives one heck of a rumble when you step on it. If you ever get the chance to drive a G8 GT, do not pass it up.

I left the G8 parked in front of the Suburban, subliminally forcing my wife to take the G8 to work, and see she actually likes it. She has been driving it regularly, and even revs the engine once in a while. I think she still wants a new SUV though. And this is how I end up with too many cars.

Luke