Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2017, 12:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Zero Oil Pressure

So... Apparently I wrote this all up last night and didn't hit "post".

Test drive last night because I finally got all the correct pieces in place between the shifter and my TH350. Long story but because it was a TH400 car and "because Doha" all sorts of pieces were wrong or improvised so shifter geometry was always a bit iffy. Definitely couldn't use the ratchet shift.

So, it's starting to cool down a bit here. It was maybe 90s last night instead of the usual 100s. Car running better of course. But I noticed that oil pressure was fluctuating a bit. But mostly it was where it always is so I just sort of kept an eye on it. After a few successful tests of the ratchet shifter (nice to have that working) I was gently turning onto another road to head home when I saw oil pressure zero. I'm ashamed to say that it was such a shock I didn't kill it immediately because it was like one of those dreams where things are unreal. But I started to faintly hear that ol' low oil pressure lifter sound starting and I knew it was real and killed it. Maybe ten maybe fifteen seconds. Just hit the key once to see if it was siezed. The starter was willing to turn it slowly like if you try and start it heat soaked. That bit was very fast because I just wanted to know if siezed. Pushed it to the side of the road. Started walking home. In one of those weird Doha incidents I actually came across a tow truck on my way home who agreed to collect the car with me. So I have it home.

Problems, there are a few. First, whatever I'm going to need I need to order first (and I'm not really so flush with money that I can afford to order much more than I need). I checked oil level it was good and looking normal. So I'm thinking one way or other oil pump failed or got blocked by something.

Pan I need, mine got a bit squished anyway by the car partially coming down on it when the jack slipped off the crossmember when I was lowering it. This didn't seem more than cosmetic at the time but who knows if the oil pump got partially hit by some of the pan and cracked or something? That all happened a couple months ago so if it did anything it didn't do it right away.

So, pump and pump rod and pickup also. Bearings. Ai! I guess I should consider that a fairly high possibility. Crank and rod at least, right?

So then the next problem is that my parking area is across the road from my house which is above ground level and behind a wall. If I manage to find a place to hire a hoist then if it is more than a day's work I need to take it inside. It's just too dusty. And then I guess I need an engine stand. And of course the big problem that between taking the engine out and it getting inside we are talking about going down a ramp from the parking to the road, up a ramp to the gate (which has a lip at the bottom) and then up to the house which is all like four steps up from ground level. I just can't imagine how all that can work but if I'm going to look at bearings and maybe even replace them then surely it needs to come in? I could do a pan and oil pump in the parking area I'm sure. Really not sure what to do. I mean, my car is on the street outside my gate right now because the tow driver and I couldn't push it up into the parking area. But it can't stay there and I certainly can't take it apart there.

And here I was thinking of showing up at Wednesday's Test and Tune at Qatar Racing Club...

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-10-20 23.32.04_20pc.jpg
Views:	2077
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	465853  

Sam Agnew

Where you come from is gone; where you thought you were going to, weren't never there; and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.
Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod