THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-21-2020, 02:20 PM

Default Suggestions for a Teen's first car

My two kids are about to start driving. Let's put this out there first; I own a bunch of cars. My son has a permit, and has picked out the car he wants to drive. He has been repairing a 2000 Cadillac Deville. It is a car I bought from my uncle that was slated for the scrap yard because of oil leaking from the Northstar engine . I planned to pull parts off it and scrap it myself. My son decided to try and save it.

My daughter, on the other hand, has no interest in the vehicles we already have. She doesn't get her permit for a little over a year. I was thinking of trading off some of the old vehicles we no longer want or use for something reliable for her. I have a year to look around, and check Craigslist daily.

I am looking for something that is safe and reliable, while meeting the look she desires. I'm thinking the value should be around $6500, preferably much less, depending on my vehicle's trade value. My daughter likes the looks of the pre-eighties Firebird and Corvette. She likes the looks of the "wing" Daytona cars, as well as "full size" 60's and older cars. She likes the looks of the modern Charger RT, 2010 and newer Camaro, and four door Wrangler. She also likes the looks of 2500 size trucks.

One of our cars is a 97 Mustang GT. My daughter is a big girl, and does not feel comfortable in it. She has no interest in Mustangs, 80's/90's Camaros, 80's/90's corvettes, Humvees or two door jeep wranglers.

With that said, I am open to vehicle model suggestions, dealer suggestions and web site suggestions. We live in NJ. We are open to any engine size, as long as it considered a reliable engine in general (consumer maintenance aside). I don't want her to end up with an engine model known to break down, leak, or throw codes. I am willing to teach her to use a clutch as well. It seems she prefers the muscular, aggressive, larger vehicles.

Thanks in advance.

Luke