Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-25-2021, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default gas gauge problem

I'm having a problem with a 1962 Bonneville gas gauge. It will not go quite all the way to empty. I just bought the car so I don't know much about it. I don't know at what point the car actually runs out of gas. I do know that when the tank is empty the gauge reads about an 1/8 inch over full. The previous owner replaced the tank sending unit with a reproduction. Not knowing this I bought another one and since I had it I replaced it again. No difference. I have since tried 3 different used dash units. All read the same. I can see them all possibly being bad but it seems they would not all be bad the same. I check to see if the gauge was getting full voltage (yes). I checked the resistance in the wire going to the tank (ok). I ran a new ground from the tank unit to a nice clean spot in trunk (no difference). I ran a ground to the instrument cluster (no different). I can buy a NOS dash gauge but it is a lot of money and I hate to buy it only to find it didn't fix the problem. When I disconnect the sending unit from the dash the gauge goes to full. When I ground the wire the gauge goes to 1/8 above empty. Can anyone help?