Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2022, 01:15 PM

Default Driveshaft Size and Clearance

About finishing the build on a 1967 GTO. Drag race only. Measured for a driveshaft with weight in car and car at ride height. 59.25" This is with stock location solid motor mounts, TH350 trans, 12 bolt rear w/4:56 gears. I expect the motor to cross at 6400-6500 RPM.

Strange would not make a driveshaft that long with that RPM range.
Precision Shaft Tech. will sell me a 4" aluminum for about the same price as the strange 3.5" chromoly.

Since the rear is up in the car and I had to shim the trans up for pinion and driveshaft angles I am out of clearance. Do I really need the 4" shaft? Stock driveshaft is already about hitting front driveshaft loop. No way I can get a 4" to fit without really cutting up the floor which I don't want to do. Any recommendations?