The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-24-2022, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SPI primer problem

Today I shot some SPI epoxy primer on a fender, a very light coat followed by two wet coats 30 mins apart.

Looked fine for quite a while as it set outside and dried. Then a few hours later when I went to bring it in I noticed where the primer was over filler that it had a very fine layer of bubbles, like a rough satin finish.

The fenders did get hit by the sun for a while, and being in the 80's outside, and being black I'm sure they got pretty freakin hot. Looks kind of like the filler outgassed under the primer or something.

At the same time I primed an endura bumper, and hood. Both turned out nice but neither probably saw the sunshine that the fender did.

Was planning to block sand and primer again anyway so no biggie ... but don't want it to happen again going forward.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Primer-Problem.jpg
Views:	670
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	593248