THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2022, 06:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default Mouse repellent machines… anybody else enjoy getting creative?

So I’m sick of always having to worry about mice in our home garage where we keep the cars we work on. We are surrounded on 2 sides by fields and woods, home to many curious mice. We take our usual steps with the cars we keep in our storage building (steel wool in all engine entry/exit places, cut up urinal mats in/on/under our cars) and have been successful since switching to that method.

Our home garage mice are a little more persistent as they like the slightly heated garage when it’s 10° out. While working in there I’d rather not have it smell like a urinal either. I’ve recently been tinkering with 120V AC short cycle timers connected to strobed led’s and 12/24v DC vibration motors. Total cost isn’t much over the $30 cycle timer.

Anyways, I set the cycle timer to run for something like 30s every 5min. so I get a 30s run of strobe led’s under the car and the vibration motor mounted to a sheet metal base I leave in the trunk. The vibration is currently a little excessive so I’m toning it down a bit. So far so good for the last 2mos or so. This is usually the time of year when the mice start migrating in.

Last week I got the idea to “automate” things a bit more and started programming a microcontroller ($10 Raspberry Pi Pico) to become a “smart” deterrent system. Essentially, for a few bucks you can add a sensor to the system and automate things. I’m currently testing a $2 HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Distance Module triggering strobe led’s, a tiny 12v motor that creates noise and vibration, and possibly a beeper/buzzer. This is in addition to scheduled cycles.

I hate the thought of mice in the garage, but the market is actually flooded with cheap yet high quality electronics and it’s kinda fun being creative.

The Following User Says Thank You to Entropy11 For This Useful Post: