Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-18-2022, 11:38 AM

Default Carb & Shaker

I guess I need to pick a new carb for my recently rebuilt motor. It's a 400, mostly stock/ street engine. Intake manifold was replaced with an edlebrock performer. I can get the specs for my lunati cam, if that helps.

The motor has a holley 750 on it ( i think). When the machine shop ran it on the dyno, he made a note that it was running way too rich, at all rpms - and that he felt my carb was too big. As per the calcs, even 600 cfm would be enough to run me up to 5,000 rpm, so 750 is overkill.

So a few questions. Is 750 cfm really too much for this motor? What is the symptom of an oversized carb? I have a 650 quadrajet sitting in my garage, but it's set up for a sbc marine motor. Can i make that work if the Holley is a no go?

And also wondering if my hood and shaker will work? This 1980 Trans Am originally had a 301 in it, and previous owner swapped in a 1975 400. Not sure if the shaker even fit with the oem intake on the 400, as the shaker was sitting in the trunk when I bought the car. If it's not going to fit - what do I need, a different hood, a different shaker?

thanks!