Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2023, 09:59 PM

Default Clutch set up is making me crazy. Advice needed.

I have been messing with my clutch since June or July and I am finally throwing in the towel. Need some help to figure out what the issue is instead of continuing to throw money and parts at it.
I am finishing up a 69 Firebird project that I bought a few years back. M20 was just rebuilt, clutch, (RAM, diaphragm), pressure plate were new, 0-miles when I got the car. Belhousing is stock. Flywheel was resurfaced and balanced with pressure plate.
The issue is that the clutch will not fully disengage unless I reduce the pedal free-pay to almost nothing. Doing this makes the throwout bearing ride the diaphragm fingers constantly. I have used 3 different clutch forks ( just replaced again today), multiple different brands and sizes of throwout bearings, different pivot balls, stock and adjustable heim joint "aviation style" rods. Problems persist.
At this point I am wondering if maybe the clutch disc is warped. Before I go and peel off another couple hundred bucks on parts that won't change anything, I was hoping for some insight for anyone who may have experienced this before.