THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2024, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Digital magazines

Starting this thread as I hope there a good amount of posts, and did not wish to highjack the thread about the poci going digital started by Mgarblik.

Before I start the post, a comment. Most of you know I have been in the carburetor business for years (this is our 50th). I have been scanning carburetor books, drawings, prints, slides, movies, etc.) for about 20 years.

Why?

Because I indexed while scanning, and today if a customer calls looking for something, I can look up the part number in a few seconds 1974 to 1930! It will take a bit longer to determine if I have it in stock, as I will not live long enough to digitize the entire parts inventory.

About 1 year ago, I sent more than 90 GB to the AACA library, so my work will not expire with me. I have more to send scanned in the last year.

So get to the point already!

The point is, I LIKE to research old articles, etc. in older magazines, but how? A company put out an index to articles in "Road & Track", "Car & Driver", and "Motor Trend" maybe 20 years ago, so if an article I wish is in one of these magazines, I at least know which magazine to look for. But with more than 5000 back issues, finding the correct one often takes more time than I wish to spend.

So, and I do not know the legality of this (maybe some of you with legal training will hop in), what if those of us who enjoy research, and understand the benefits of digital data were to decide among ourselves to scan magazines, and make the scans we do available to others in the group simply for the cost of the postage of a thumb drive? Each individual could be responsible for scanning a certain title, or more likely one or more years within the title.

To date, most of my scanning has been carburetor related. I generally use Adobe Acrobat and scan to a PDF file WHICH IS COMPLETELY DIGITALLY SEARCHABLE!

Magazines that I have scanned either complete runs, or partial runs if I don't have complete runs, are: Carter "Sales & Service News", Holley "Carbograms", and Rochester "Newsletter".

Pontiac related which I have scanned are partial runs of: "Pontiac Owners Magazine", "Pontiac Service News", and "Pontiac Safari".

So what say you?

Anyone interested in doing some scanning in return for receiving digital data? Dependant on legality?

Oh, and for those who don't like sitting in front of the computer, I have my computer attached to the big screen, and can crash in the Lazy-Boy and do my research on the big screen.

If there is sufficient interest, and this is legal, we could list magazine runs in each of our possession, and determine who could scan what.

Just to start the who could scan what, and I am NOT going to scan all of this stuff, I have virtually complete runs from issue 1 to when I said "enough is enough" of the following:

Pontiac related:

"Pontiac Service News" and "Service Craftsman News" (starts in the 1920's)
"Pontiac Owners Magazine" (mid 1930's)
"Pontiac Safari" (early 1960's through early 1970's)
"Pontiac Service Bulletins" (1957 through maybe 1980).
"GM Folks" (late 1930's through 1956)
"Thunder Am" (complete run)
"High Performance Pontiac" (from the end of "Thunder Am" to "enough"

General Auto magazines;

"Car & Driver" (late 40's to "enough"
"Road & Track" (late 40's to "enough"
"Skinned Knuckles" (1976 to my subscription ran out following the sale from the founder).

Technical:

A.E.A tune-up charts
Sun tune-up charts

Also have a large collection of tractor publications (man does not exist with Pontiac alone, there is also John Deere )

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following User Says Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post: