Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2024, 07:03 PM

Default "62" heads valve job or aluminum replacement recommendation needed

I am in the middle of a 400 rebuild with plans on a 400hp engine at the end of the day. During the teardown, it is looking like this engine was rebuilt less than 50k and more likely 25k miles ago. Bored out .030 and crank turned 0.10 on both mains and rods. Everything is super clean and in good shape. However, the "62" heads appear to have never had any work done to them. I have only pulled the #8 valves but the pitting on the exhaust valve and seat is pretty bad and has a significant build up of carbon. The condition of the heads just doesn't match the condition of the rest of the engine making me believe that they were just bolted on with no work done.

Having said all that, I was hoping to get a recommendation of whether to have a valve job done, new valves, etc or to go the new aluminum head route. For those in favor of having the work done, do you know anyone in the OKC, OK general vicinity that you would trust? Thanks in advance for the help! Lee