Old 06-27-2005, 03:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

wally if I had been there i would have laughed. Im always plauged by some leak get one fixed and there comes another LOL that was a good one to say !@

Old 06-27-2005, 04:57 PM

I live in hot georgia I have 180 t-stat in my 69 I have yet to hit 200. Of course with a/c on theres an electric fan running off the low press cycling swt. There are some cheap cooling alternatives. Aluminum rad was $150 brand new off of an ebay store, no epoxy all welded construction, it requires modifing to fit but it was well worth it

76 50th annv. T/A
Old 06-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

72 Lemans, I just picked-up a 160 and I'm gonna try the holes around it....how many holes? I'm going out(as in right now) to do a flush and new coolant after installing the new thermo.

1/2 apart 1/4 holes all the way around sound ok??

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Results of 20 mile drive...some stoplight-cruise 35/40mph. to 5 miles on highway @ 65/75mph for 5 miles and then repeat same route home. Never got over 210...usually about 200 steady. Last Sat. I drove about the same route with an extra 10 or so miles..temps. and humidity were about the same as today- 96 deg.and about 50%hum., and my car was at a steady 220-230. So...bottom line is about 15-20 degrees cooler than it has been running

Old 06-28-2005, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ctgross:
72 Lemans, I just picked-up a 160 and I'm gonna try the holes around it....how many holes? I'm going out(as in right now) to do a flush and new coolant after installing the new thermo.

1/2 apart 1/4 holes all the way around sound ok?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So how did you drill the holes?I usually drill on on each side,across from each other.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Blue, I clamped mine in a vise with a rag and drilled 6 1/4" holes around(like a clock, 12-2-4-6-8-10) cleaned each side with some emory cloth and washed it good. I know the flush and new coolant had to help, but I think the thermo. modification was the difference.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:13 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via Yahoo to twisted

well, I got mine running 190 when driving around and won't pass 200 even in stop and go unless I'm sitting a really long time. Was at the drags the other day and let my car run while I was in the line up waiting, and ended up there for 35 minutes because someone dropped a drive shaft on the track. While BSing with Oldinjun I realized my car was running the whole time, I ran back to my car and it was just creeping across the 220 mark, so I guess I'm good now.

I have a large BeCool Aluminum radiator with a 2600 CFM BeCool electric fan pulling air through it. It still got hot in the stop and go traffic, so I pulled the waterpump and hammered the divider plate down like so many people suggested. That seemed to do the most help.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ctgross:
Blue, I clamped mine in a vise with a rag and drilled 6 1/4" holes around(like a clock, 12-2-4-6-8-10) cleaned each side with some emory cloth and washed it good. I know the flush and new coolant had to help, but I think the thermo. modification was the difference. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad it worked out great for you. Im not saying this in a bad way but I TOLD YA SO im glad you listened! I wish others would try this. I have no Idea why this works but maybe one of the flaws is near the water neck in the cooling system Im really really glad it helped!

Old 07-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO

Mine averages 165 on start up idle and highway. Stop and go today with 90 degree heat and 6000% humidity it actually hit 185.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:47 AM

Send a message via MSN to Thunderskull

Mine usually hits about 190-195 when driving. It's actually cooler at idle with temps averaging 175-180. That's in 90 degree heat.