Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-26-2005, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SInce i had my AC unit installed my exhaust has been drifting into my interior. It smells not like gas nor regular exhaust, but like old exhaust or like that.

Even when I park the car, the outsides smells this way.

Its giving me headachs in the car and killing my sinuses.

what could this be?

a leak in the firewall where they put the hoses through?

exhaust manifold gasket?

this blows a$$

HELP

Brandi

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 07-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they didn't connect the PCV valve and the crankcase blowby is coming out of the valvecover breather.

George

Old 07-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Senior Chief

You would have to have a exhaust leak for the fumes to make it into the passenger compartment, I think George may have it. look at the PCV, or where engine fumes can be transitioned into the passenger compartment.
Russ

Old 07-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Brandi, I have had similar problems for over a year now, i attribute most of it to the use of headers, which i'm getting regasketed tomorrow, just to hold me over untill my 462 with r/a manifolds is complete. And I also think my engine was not assemblem all that well, maybe leakes elsewhere, who knows, but i without a doubt contribute the most seriousness with the use of headers, i feel they are of no good use on the street because eventually they will always leak.

Old 07-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok, thanks guys.

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 07-27-2005, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brandi, I have read on your other posts that you are having trouble with your new a/c install. Let me run this by you. I am an hvac service technician and I can tell you that refrigerant and refrigerant oil vapor can have a strange pungent odor. I'm wondering if you have a refrigerant leak somewhere under you dash. Refigerant is heavier than air so a bad leak will displace the oxygen in a confined space. Just a thought.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 07-28-2005, 02:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by johnsma22:
Brandi, I have read on your other posts that you are having trouble with your new a/c install. Let me run this by you. I am an hvac service technician and I can tell you that refrigerant and refrigerant oil vapor can have a strange pungent odor. I'm wondering if you have a refrigerant leak somewhere under you dash. Refigerant is heavier than air so a bad leak will displace the oxygen in a confined space. Just a thought. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, another Tauntonian. Welcome!

Old 07-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the welcome Mr GTO. This is a great site. Hey, is it just me or does taunton have the worst and slowest drivers in the state? And the roads!!!!

Old 08-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Thanks for the welcome Mr GTO. This is a great site. Hey, is it just me or does taunton have the worst and slowest drivers in the state? And the roads!!!!

Yup, they do. My username is messed up but yes we do. I think I have seen your car drive by my house a few times. I live just on the Norton Taunton line near I495.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have seen it. I just got it on the road after a 12 year restoration this past spring. I took it off the road in may due to the fact that it was running like a dog! After some research found out that my milled #13 heads were giving me a CR of over 10:1 and I was experiencing detonation. I am now in the process of installing some e-heads, hydraulic roller cam, rpm intake and a boat load of other improvements. I'm hoping to get it back on the road for the fall. I live right off of 140 near the Rocky Knolls retirement park. We should get together some time and swap stories. I'd like to see your Pontiac.