Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 07-09-2005, 11:08 AM

I will soon be transplanting a 462 in place of my 400 in my 76 t/a. I have no idea when, or if at any time the previous owner replaced the shocks or springs, the car has 60k on. In any case, i'm thinking this might be a good time to do both. I need some opinions for a good performing economical spring that I can use.. The biggest thing for me is not changing the right height. Right now, my car looks perfect to me. just has the right stance. I have seen many spring changes done that makes the car stand up too high, creating alot of room between the wheel well and wheel.. I don't like that look... I am planing to use edelbrock or bilstein shocks, so if you can please recommend a good spring for what i'm looking for i'd really appreciate it. Thanks alot guys.

Old 07-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a 60,000 mile car, if you like the way the car sits with the current springs, I wouldn't mess with them.

Your shock choices are excellent - either the Bilstein or the Edelbrock will make you smile compared to your old shocks.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:39 PM

Champ,
Thanks for the info. One of the reasons i was asking about shocks was that i read somewhere that the extra weight of the 455 would cause a need for new springs? is that true? If its not then i'm glad, because i'd love to keep the ride height where it is and not mess with it. Thanks

Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not saying there isn't any difference in weight between a 400 and a 455, but it shouldn't be much if any.

Unlike a Chebby, there is no SB and BB Pontiac. The block is basically the same from the 326 all the way upto the 455.

Depending on what you do, it's possible the 455 could be lighter - aluminum heads, intake, headers...

A fresh 462 in a 60,000 mile survivor sounds like a lot of fun.

Do you need someone to take it on a shakedown cruise???

Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to SGTGTO

I like my Koni's, but they are expensive (100$ each). They do carry a lifetime warranty though. They are adjustable, so they say.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I appreciate it as I don't know a whole lot about suspension yet. I think I will stick with my stock springs and use either edelbrock or bilsteins, seems that people enjoy both of them....i'm sure it will be a large improvement over what i have now, as the headers on my current 400 take a beating on the road at even the smalles bump

Old 07-13-2005, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the 455 weighs any more than a 400. Are you happy with the way the car corners now, or are you looking for less lean?

I think the poly sway bar mounts are a nice easy addition to firm things up.

I have the Edelbrock shocks on my GTO and I like them a lot.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:46 PM

slowgto,
I would say my car corners pretty well, but when i finally get a good performance motor in my car, that will be the real test,,,, i mainly want a nice ride and to not hear/smack headers on every little bump or pebble,, and in addition, keep my current stock ride height,,, and it sounds like the edelbrock, or bilsteins will work,,, i will most likely choose the one that costs less, as i am on a budget.