Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Any experience with this setup? after unsuccessfully locating a non a/c heater setup for my Bonneville I think I'm going to try this on for size. The flex-a-lite rep said the unit only weighs 8lbs, I only see 2 things I'm not thrilled about, An external water control valve must be installed to turn off heat, and the rubber heater hoses must be routed inside the car.

Old 03-30-2004, 12:07 PM

Any experience with this setup? after unsuccessfully locating a non a/c heater setup for my Bonneville I think I'm going to try this on for size. The flex-a-lite rep said the unit only weighs 8lbs, I only see 2 things I'm not thrilled about, An external water control valve must be installed to turn off heat, and the rubber heater hoses must be routed inside the car.

Old 04-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lawman: Why would an external water valve bother you? In one form or another, this is pretty typical on almost all older cars.

As to the rubber hoses inside the vehicle, you might be able to fabricate some hard lines to run out to the firewall and solder it all together. This would probably void any warranty.

Old 04-05-2004, 06:42 AM

the water valve shouldn't be a big deal if you still have the control head and temp cable with the car.

use one for an int truck or a scout depending on whether or not you want a 90deg fitting on one end. you'll need to fab a mount and hook the cable to it. the temp cable will control the temp by restricting or opening the control valve.

these are readily available at a good parts store and work well.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2004, 01:39 PM

I guess Im not bothered so much by the external water control valve after giving it some more thought, ironically I have a cable actuated one from an international grain truck already cleaned and ready to go in my tool box. I'm stiil brainstorming ideas on the hoses. I really don't mind them inside the car, but I'm working on a way to keep them from abrading when being routed through the firewall. The two ideas I have so fab a plate that bolts to the fire wall that has nipples on both sides to connect the existing hoses to the new hoses under the firewall. And the other is to run new hoses from the engine through the firewall using grommets and connect directly to the heater. There are pros and cons for both but either way is going to work much better than the vacuum controlled crap gm put in their a/c cars.