Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 11-10-2003, 03:20 PM

I have an 81 Turbo TA. I have 3 choices as I see it. Rebuild the 301, put a 455 in, or put in a Vortec 97 Chevy engine I already have.Please give me specific reasons for your view, such as resale value, time and money to make changeover, etc.

PS: Please consider I have 2 other rigs to keep running, and 3 Harleys. So, you see I am on a bit of a budget.

J

Old 11-10-2003, 03:20 PM

I have an 81 Turbo TA. I have 3 choices as I see it. Rebuild the 301, put a 455 in, or put in a Vortec 97 Chevy engine I already have.Please give me specific reasons for your view, such as resale value, time and money to make changeover, etc.

PS: Please consider I have 2 other rigs to keep running, and 3 Harleys. So, you see I am on a bit of a budget.

J

Old 11-10-2003, 04:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If it is a conours car rebuild the 301 If not put the 455 in it if u'all have it or a 400 . The chev motor will require a new trans unless u'all are lucky enough to have a corporate trans.{look at the bellhousing and if it contours with the back of the motor it is a BOP if it doesn't it is a corporate trans which fits chev buick olds pontiac} and cad 472 or 500 caddy would be a good choice if u'all can fabricate. U'all will have to fab exh for either motors and change some wiring with the chev but camaro parts are plentiful not much other major problems that I know of good luck whatever u'alls choice

DRIVE IT LIKE U'ALL STOLE IT!

connman

Old 11-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TCI makes an adapter to run chevys with pontiac tranys, jegs sold them at one time. My formula came with a 305 chevy and was converted to a 455 before I got it all the previous owner did was move the starter and alt. wiring to the other side of the car and shorten the wires.

Old 11-10-2003, 10:17 PM

sell the vortec to a rodder and use that money to put a 400 or 455 together.

resale will be higher, maintenance will be easier and the swap won't be hard at all.

put the 301 in a corner for the next owner.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-11-2003, 09:03 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by connman:
If it is a conours car rebuild the 301

connman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is a concours car? Forgive my ignorance guys, I have always been more of a Harley guy.

J

Old 11-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

a concours car is a show car, something that you would not drive. I would build the 455. You can get big power from it for not a lot of $$. I think that 301 turbo got voted as being one of the worst engines pontiac ever built but I cant remember where I read it.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dont forget to budget for the related items. With the 455 you would be strongly urged to get frame connectors, and the rear end might need to be beefed up. I dont know what the 301 came with, but It was a fairly anemic motor and I bet the rear is nothing special. I swapped a 454 into a 79 Camaro without the connectors, but I had zero traction and got away with it. Your transmission might not live too long either if its an old TH350. That should be upgraded or swapped for a TH400.

"On the highways, it was a white-line nightmare...men were battered and smashed..."

Old 11-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep the 301 on the side for the numbers matching
freaks,and build the 455. Should not be a problem
bolting in. Drivetrain should last if you don`t
hop the engine up too much. Even a stock 455 will
blow away the 301.

Old 11-22-2003, 03:32 AM

I agree with the other guys on keeping the 301 in the corner of the garage for matching numbers freaks,but if it was me I would look for a deep ditch and push that 301 boiler out the back of the truck and never look back.Build a nice 400 and be done with it.They are easier to find and will be and over all better engine and more reliable.Drive a friends ta with a 400 and then you will know.later

Brian Moore

Old 11-22-2003, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might also want to check with your state DMV before installing either a 400 or a 455 in a 1981 vehicle.

Jon.

Good carburetion is fuelish hot air.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.