Old 11-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if this is related to the post about the pulsing electrical system, but I was having problems with my fuel sending unit and replaced it, which solved my fuel gage to be on 1/4 all the time. Even though I don't drive my car at night much I do notice that when I turn the lights on the fuel gage will drop to below empty and gradually make its way back above empty but not all the way to where it was before the lights were turned on. It will almost make it back then drop again below empty. I also noticed that when the needle drops there is a flicker in the dash lights. I have the original regulator that was on the car when I got it, I don't know if it is the original from the factory but it sure looks like it. I do have a new one but it doesn't quit look the same from the backside, so I didn't install it yet.

Another thing I noticed was even though I didn't have the brights on, you can see that they are lit just barely. I am going to change the regulator and check my grounds, anything else I might look into? This also has the original altenator on it also, in fact other than points, condensor and coil the rest of the electrical system is original.

----------------------------------------------------------
Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes, and you can say whatever the hell you want to about him.

Old 11-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if this is related to the post about the pulsing electrical system, but I was having problems with my fuel sending unit and replaced it, which solved my fuel gage to be on 1/4 all the time. Even though I don't drive my car at night much I do notice that when I turn the lights on the fuel gage will drop to below empty and gradually make its way back above empty but not all the way to where it was before the lights were turned on. It will almost make it back then drop again below empty. I also noticed that when the needle drops there is a flicker in the dash lights. I have the original regulator that was on the car when I got it, I don't know if it is the original from the factory but it sure looks like it. I do have a new one but it doesn't quit look the same from the backside, so I didn't install it yet.

Another thing I noticed was even though I didn't have the brights on, you can see that they are lit just barely. I am going to change the regulator and check my grounds, anything else I might look into? This also has the original altenator on it also, in fact other than points, condensor and coil the rest of the electrical system is original.

Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because by then, you're a mile away, you've got his shoes, and you can say whatever the hell you want to about him.

Old 11-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Im not sure what year car you are talking about, but I am experiencing similar problems in my 70 GTO. Once in a while my temp gauge reading will be affected with my lights being on or not. I have located the problem as being the printed circuit on the back of the cluster. I found that out by feeling around back there and seeing the guage moving then the circuit board got real hot all of a sudden.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 11-09-2003, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your ground wire and or add another. A poor groung will do crazy things to your instruments.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also check the ground wire from the motor to the firewall and the fender to the battery and
the grounds at the headlites and tail lites.

DRIVE IT LIKE U'ALL STOLE IT!

connman

Old 11-11-2003, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is a 64 Lemans 4speed. I am going to rechack all of my grounds as I thought that maybe the problem. My tail lights and blinkers all work just fine. The dash lights all work although I think they are a little dim, so I will try to polish the connectors, as suggested. The items that I thought were strange was the fuel gage dropping when the lights were on and the brights were on and very dim even though they were not turned on by the dimmer switch. I will also check the voltage from the altenator and regulator as those are still the original units and wanted to make sure they are still good or need to be replaced.

Thanks and I will let you all know when I get a chance to mess with them.