Old 05-18-2003, 09:32 PM

Hey guys, I just put in a High Torque mini starter to help with the hot start problem. Tried to start it once after installed and it grinded a little, so i shimmed it a bit. Went to start it again and nothing. Warning lights come on at acc. position but nothing in the start position. Had the starter checked and it is fine. Any thoughts? Appreciate the help!

Old 05-18-2003, 09:32 PM

Hey guys, I just put in a High Torque mini starter to help with the hot start problem. Tried to start it once after installed and it grinded a little, so i shimmed it a bit. Went to start it again and nothing. Warning lights come on at acc. position but nothing in the start position. Had the starter checked and it is fine. Any thoughts? Appreciate the help!

Old 05-19-2003, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How is the stater wired?

What are the wires going to the starter?

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Senior Chief

could be net. safety switch or the ing. switch, not sure what your working on, on some cars you can adj. the ing. switch.

Old 05-21-2003, 06:37 PM

check the neutral safety switch. Make sure it is park or neutral.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:17 PM
Suspended

Pull the coil hi-volt wire
Put a screw driver between the hot lead on the starter (LARGE) and one of the small leads (2).
See if it cranks.
Let us know what happens.
Good luck
P.S. Have the inspection pan on that flywheel!!!

Old 05-23-2003, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I will try the screwdriver jumper in the morning. I forgot to add that this is a 67 GTO four speed. I went to NAPA and got a ignition switch for it and when I got it home, the new one didn't have the ign.2 prong like the original does. what do I do to hook the new one up? Could it still be the ignition switch if it still turns on the Accessories?

Old 05-24-2003, 08:44 AM

Okay so this morning there was nothing with the starter. Just to make sure I did this right I pulled the coil wire that was running from the battery. Turned the key to run and then layed a screwdriver across the two terminals on the starter? Sound about right? So the starter should have cranked at this point? Thanks for all the help!

Old 05-24-2003, 08:18 PM
Suspended

1) Leave the coil wire on.
2) Leave the key in the off position.
3) Jump the large terminal to the small terminal.
4) Are the battery connections O.K.( just becouse the lights and other accs. work doesn't mean the battery is giving the starter enough current).
5) Did they load test the starter? ( if it spins with by it self with no engine to turn that doesen't mean its good).
6) What is the housing of this starter made of?
is it making a good ground to engine block?
I'll be looking for your reply.
Good luck, Pitts.

The corpses of children are called adults!!

Old 05-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Suspended

P.S. leave the ign. switch for later.
We will determine if its bad later on.
We 1st need to see if the starter is o.k.
What was the problem with the old starter?

Old 05-25-2003, 07:36 PM

The only thing wrong with the old starter was that I coulnt restart without waiting twenty minutes for it to cool down, even with a heat shield. So from reading some of the old tech talks I decided to try a mini starter. It was really weird, this new starter was working fine for the first two starts. I just took it back off to shim it a little, and then put it back on and nothing. So I tried to jump the terminals again and still, not even a sign of life. So just let me know where to test next! I'll learn as I go.

Old 05-26-2003, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you completely unbolt the starter when you put the shims in?

Did you unbolt the wires when you shimmed it?

If you left the wires connected,you might have broken one of the wires or possibly grounding it against the block.Also check that they didn't loosen up when wrangling with it.

If you removed the wires when shimming,you probably wired the 2 smaller wires wrong.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-27-2003, 07:19 PM

Thanks for all the help guys it turned out to be one of the wires not making contact. Atleast I learned something though, appreciate the help!

Old 05-27-2003, 09:05 PM

I posted a problem with my 67 gto ht with a four speed,Well I finally got power to the starter with all the help. Now it seems to turn the flywheel but a loud clunk sounds and stops the cranking. I tried again, it turned a bit then the loud clunk noise and thats when it stops. Its pretty loud and un-nerving. At one point the starter got hung up on the fly wheel and I had to use a screwdriver to un hook it. Anybody have this problem occur? The shimming seems to look fairly right. Appreciate the help!!

Old 05-28-2003, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 428GTO70

Hmmm...that doesn't sound good. I dont have experience with that but I would check to see if the gears on the starter and flywheel look chewed up a bit now. Does the starter gear look like the same size and number of teeth as the original? Im just thinking it sounds like the gears on the starter and the flywheel arent compatible and they are turning a little bit and then 2 teeth of the gears are hitting each other dead on instead of meshing together. This is just what I pictured from what you said, the next thing I would say is the shimming is off. But like I said I have never had any problem like that before this is just what I would check if it were mine by what you said. Good luck, I hope you get it all figured out.

GR-RRR!

1970 GTO 458 CID .040 over 4 Bolt 428 Block, Forged Eagle 455 Crank, 295 CFM SD KRE D-Ports, SD Old Faithful HR Cam + Comp HR Lifters, PPR Maxx-lite rods, Racetec pistons, PRW 1.65 SS Rockers, 900CFM Holley HP TBI, Performer RPM, Hooker Super Comps, 3" X-Pipe into 2.5" mufflers/tailpipes, 2.75 1st TH400, Continental 13" Converter, 8.5" 3.08 Posi.
Everything installed, fired up and tuning has begun!
Old 05-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Suspended

Maybe have a good starter/alternator shop rebuild the old one and have them beef it up a little.
I've never had any luck with after market parts.
Good luck

Old 05-28-2003, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you need to shim it some more.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Old 05-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

if it was just a hot start problem you had , you can hook up a remote sol. , kinda like the ford set up, it cured my hot start problem. i made my own set up , but if your not that good with wiring you can look in some magazines , some one makes a kit to do it

Old 05-30-2003, 02:00 AM
Suspended

My 64 Bonneville has the remote set-up its mounted on the wheel well.