Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:28 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to Bulldog

For one the 302 5.0 HO worked the way you claim may move you POS mustang in the 10.'s all day but have you considered WEIGHT of a vehicle in your calcualtion. I had a 91 LX 5.0 HO, the original motor was stroked and naturally aspirated displayed 468.3HP/500FT-LBS TQ on the dyno and still didnt get 20 miles to the gallon, so you got to be smoking crack. As for the 455 of course it wont get twenty miles to the gallon GEE WHY NOT could it be because its four hundred and fifty five cubic inches and nobody cares about miles to the gallon here...seriously...Hey fellas how many of you ever said HEY I would really like to stroke the bejesus out of my 400 or 455 but Im worried I wont get 20 miles to the gallon? And dont try "grabing your stick" and saying yours maybe smaller but it has more power junk cause BOY that really makes people want to help you even more. Whats that saying "Dont let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya"...PEACE!!!

Old 09-11-2004, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

Hey.... a man can only be pushed so far, how do you expect me to react with all the harsh opinions coming my way. I don't care to hear about foolish comparo's. If you do not know how to make this swap keep your negative opinion to yourself. If you have an idea your comments would be appreciated. The rest of you sound like gossiping wash women!!

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 09-11-2004, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YVEYANT, You post on a Pontiac board that you want to put a Ford in a Pontiac, and you want us to keep our negative comments to our self? Go suck a Mopar rod! You're the one that brought it here, so what did you expect? I like Fords, but a Ford engine belongs in a FORD! Unless maybe, one puts one in a Chevy.

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 09-11-2004, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing I "brought" here is a legitimate question for my project. I did not bring negative remarks. It is a shame that this is supposed to be fun and rewarding, but yet some of you guys are making this into something personal. This is my project and I am looking forward to using a motor that I have a lot invested into. Once again, to me it is not important what name is under the hood.

Ant

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 09-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's not important, to you, what name is under the hood, in my opinion, you are on the wrong forum!

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 09-11-2004, 11:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Okay, beyond giving my opinion on how that swap would totally suck, here's some tips. Pull the stock engine and trans and bag 'em for the future when a resto is closer to your heart than going fast. Next, lower the ford engine and trans complete with accessories and blower. Don't worry about the harness. That will by far be the easiest part. Start looking for logical mounting points for the engine "stands" where they hit the crossmember. Toss a jack under the trans and see what hits the frame first and how willing you are to start cutting the engine oil pan or frame of the car. Odds are that nothing will fit, but you may get lucky. I'd put it as far back as possible. Plan on fabricating a set of headers. Stahl will sell you a set of their "mistakes" at a reasonable price. You can cut your original header flanges off about 2-3 inches from the header and start there. I don't know of anyone that has ever put a small ford into a GM, but I'm sure it's been done. You will be your own r&d team. If you are not comfortable doing a lot of fab work, this is not the job for you. I'd either find a bada$$ fastback to put the engine into, or sell that hot little ford motor to fund a pontiac build up. Can it be done? Of course, just depends on how bad you want it. Measure everything 3 times, tack it all up first, then start looking at driveline angles. Once the mounts are in for good, then start on trans support, and headers. Then you get to modify the harness. Ford harnesses are actually easier than a gm for going stand alone. Get the book from your dealer on making 5.0's fast. It has the schematics in it. I would wish you luck, but would rather you not do it. Good skill you'll need, luck has little to do with success anyway. Along the way, and for the duration that you run this set up, people will chastise you. But, it's yours.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for tech help.

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 09-12-2004, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the tech help

Ant

Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

Braveheart

Old 09-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Regardless of what all these guys say about the "rightness" of the swap, if you want to, do it. But like Mikeb said, you'll have a hell of a time getting the engine to fit close enough to the crossmember to get the hood shut without a bubble. The oil pump just ain't gonna get any smaller. And the steering linkage makes it even worse.
If you get it in there, now would be the place for the Chevy-style 3.73 and 3.90 gears. Small torqueless engines gotta rev.
Just out of curiosity, what exactly is the weight difference between a '65 GTO and a Mustang? Couple-300 pounds at the most, maybe?

Old 09-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Senior Chief

My b.s. meter is moveing. It picked up 75 HP from the first to the last post.

Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 AM

Dude, set the tools down -- and back slowly away from the Goat. There are medical professionals who can assist you with this problem. Get help while there's still time!

Old 09-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Shiver

This is a stake through the heart. Please don't let it happen

Old 09-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just trade the Goat for a kick ass Fastback. Do you really want to start cutting up a legend? What happens when you get into it and realize you bit off more than you can chew? Then you'll have a cut up GTO and still have this expensive blue oval motor with no car to put it in. I know it's "your car" and you can do whatever you want with it, but some things should just be left alone and this is one of them.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 09-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

if you are serious about this swap you have to consider 3 things.
is it possible? in my opinion anything is, however, the two things that will be a pain in the butt will be the oilpan and the headers. since the oil pump is in the front on a ford the crossmember will have to be modified or replaced and the pan for a latemodel (79-95) mustang will work. there are tubular replacement engine cradles for mustangs and f-bodies. this is how i put steve's pontiac motor in my fairmont, which is the same chassis as a mustang. however i am not sure if anyone makes one of these for your GTO. headers will not be as big of a problem as long as you have access to a few sets to test fit, the mustang headers may even work.
second, will it be fast? maybe, but not as fast as the mustang because of the weight issue. i would say the GTO will be atleast 1.5 to 2 seconds slower becauseof where the engine makes power. high in the rpm range with a centrifigal bower. right?
third will it be cool? i don,t think so. when i put the pontiac motor in my fairmont it was because we knew it would be pretty fast(9.95 @135 on the motor 5.71@121 1/8 mile on the spray @3200#. and we also thought it would p**s some people off. you my friend have a very collectable and classic car. don't screw it up. may i suggest something else. sell the ford drivetrain and build a pontiac motor using a stand alone fuel injection system without the blower. it will make more power, be less hassle, get almost the same mpg, and probably be cheaper in the long run than modifying the chassis for this swap.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Chief

AHAHAHAHAHAH Mr. Fariac AHAHAHAHAH

Old 09-12-2004, 12:29 PM

I would invest in a 302 mock block. You can bolt all of your accessories to one of these and they are super lightweight. I dont think that there would be to much fab work involved. Block hugger type headers would most likely fit.Welding frame mounts wouldnt be a big deal if you had one of those plastic long blocks. Good luck!

Old 09-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and will still get over twenty miles to the gallon during normal driving.You could never get a 455 to do that.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not even going to get into the Ford/Pontiac swap, but FYI -
Jack and I ran the Silver State Classic in the EFI GTO with a bored/stroked PONTIAC 455. 90 miles at an average speed of 140 and a top speed near 155 - and we got 17.5 mpg out of the run.
Don't come around here thinking a PONTIAC cannot keep up with that four-letter-word F motor!

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Found
On
Roadside
Dead

Failure
On
Race
Day

Flip
Over
Read
Directions:
Put
In
Nickel
To
Operate

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 09-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Senior Chief

Ok one thing at least is that he is not putting a Chhhh...can't say the word, in his car. But the bad thing is its a GTO. Now maybe, maybe, i could see it in a Firebird or Lemans or something, maybe a Ventura. But its a GTO.....I feel sad for that car...Putting all this Pure Pontiac aside, that 302 is a revver, is it not? The GTO is a fairly heavy car i believe and it would not much like the 302. No offense to you or your idea, but just please save the money you'll take to get that Ford in the GTO and build a badass Ford. A friend of mine is building a 71 Mach 1 with a 429, its goina be baaaaaad, but he thinks he can hang with my 455 soon to be 479

Old 09-12-2004, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, anybody else read car mags but me? Anybody see that piece in Street Rodder where the guy took a perfectly preserved mid-thirties Chrysler Airflow sedan and did a total streetrod-job on it? One of TWO remaining. You know what they say: "Anybody can restore a car, but it takes a real man to cut one up..."

Old 09-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

But the cutting needed here wuold be easier with a tube chassis instead of the stock frame. There is no removeable subframe like in a fairmont or fox body mustang. GTO's ahd a FULL FRAME that is thick and heavy.

After all the cutting welding and making something work that is like a round peg in a square cast iron hole, why not just get VFN's 64 GTO glass body and an Alston or Jegs frame then drop in the 5.0, at least it would pull the thing because it wouldnt be a 3700lb car with a tiny motor.

65 GTO's are worth quite a bit of $$$, but cutting the snot out of one to install a 5.0 will be making it less desireable and much slower than a mild 455 would be in it.

Like I said, I have a 71 Mach1 Fastback you can have in trade. it already has a 2v Cleveland with a edelbrock 4barrel intake. I will bring it to you and give you ALL my extra parts for it.

I have been looking for a 65 GTO for years, and seeing one cut up like you are talking about would be like me taking a 66 Shelby 427 Cobra ripping the guts out of it, throwin away the 427 side oiler and putting a 305 chevy in there just because it was what I had.

Closed Thread