Old 10-24-2004, 04:30 PM

Ok, it seems as though this is the section I haveta post this 'lil thought I've been having for the past 20 years or so since I got my 1st Poncho ('Bird-T/A).

I know there are kits that you can get for a full frame extension for 2nd gen F-bodies. Where ya get 'em from I dont know. Any help?

Another thing I've been wanting to do that requires the use of those frame extensions, is making a 2nd gen T/A convertible. Never seen it done.

But finding someone capable of doing what I want to do is a whole different story. Anyone know of someone that could do it and do it right, that lives near Nashville,Tn., and wouldnt faciltate my having to rob the U.S. Mint to pay for this project??

This project wouldnt get started probably until maybe the middle of next year, so I do have a lil' bit of time to gather the finaces that this undertaking will surely require.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-24-2004, 04:30 PM

Ok, it seems as though this is the section I haveta post this 'lil thought I've been having for the past 20 years or so since I got my 1st Poncho ('Bird-T/A).

I know there are kits that you can get for a full frame extension for 2nd gen F-bodies. Where ya get 'em from I dont know. Any help?

Another thing I've been wanting to do that requires the use of those frame extensions, is making a 2nd gen T/A convertible. Never seen it done.

But finding someone capable of doing what I want to do is a whole different story. Anyone know of someone that could do it and do it right, that lives near Nashville,Tn., and wouldnt faciltate my having to rob the U.S. Mint to pay for this project??

This project wouldnt get started probably until maybe the middle of next year, so I do have a lil' bit of time to gather the finaces that this undertaking will surely require.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tenno,
do you mean convertibles like these ---> http://www.firebirdgallery.com/national_coachlot2.htm

db

Old 10-25-2004, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

And if you mean 'Subframe Connectors' check my project post.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:14 PM

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGG....those are some wicked badazz rides on that site dyingbreed...thanx tons...but....where to find someone that does it nowadays??? Hmmmmm......

And Trev, I mean frame extension, like the '81-'88 Cutlass'/Monte Carlos'/Regals/Gran Prix's....so the car will have a full frame...the t-top cars like mine are already weak structurally as it is from having t-tops....extensions are avaiable the last I heard uninstalled for around $300 or so...Imma get a set!!! But from where?? Anyone know where a fella might procure some??

Old 10-26-2004, 06:36 PM

I don't think there is anyone who makes frame extensions for 2nd Gen Birds like your talking about. Everyone just goes the subframe connector way to tie the front subframe to the rear rails. Serves the same purpose. Putting in a roll cage or bar will further help the structure of the car.

Old 10-27-2004, 05:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am using a set of Alston Chassis subframe connectors on y T Top car. The can be welded to the rear of the subframe, and welded to the rear frame rails. I think this is as good as you will get without custom fabricating something.
Check Trans Ams on ebay as occasionally a convertible comes up for sale. Unfortunatly I think 2nd Gens look ugly with the top either up or down. Now a roadster (without a top) might look good?

Old 10-27-2004, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I remeber an old Circle Track article about a "hobby stock" Camaro they made subframe connectors with an X between them and a loop for the driveshaft.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-27-2004, 11:20 AM

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. But the few fellas I talked to about it just called 'em frame extensions.

Connecting the sub-frame to the rear rails. Weld the pieces in place & that pretty much makes it a full frame doesnt it?