The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Does the person doing the powdercoating need to primer or can i primer after sandblasting then let them powdercoat it? Thanks

Old 02-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Does the person doing the powdercoating need to primer or can i primer after sandblasting then let them powdercoat it? Thanks

Old 02-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Powdercoating is applied directly to the bare metal,best to have them prep the surfaces for best results.That way they cant say the job turned out bad because they did'nt prep it.JMO.

In the meantime,check out the cars HERE.

Old 02-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with screamingchief- let them do all the prep work and powder coat it. I just had a frame and all components sandblasted and powder coated and it looks great. It cost me $ 475.00 and I could not be happier.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:45 PM

Depending upon the powdercoating vendor you can save a fair amount of money by preping yourself. If you elect to do it, make sure you do not touch the bare metal parts with your hands directly. It leaves oil spots. Also some vendors will not guarantee their work if you prep. I persoanlly have had good luck with preping myself.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Senior Chief

Leave the prep to the powdercoater for the reasons already given, and powdercoating shops usually do sand/media blasting as well... at least around here they do. I had all of my front suspension parts blasted and powdercoated for $70 and they look awesome. The only prep I did was to scrape the major grease and crud off so my trunk wouldn't get trashed hauling the parts to the shop.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:52 AM

Does the metal get treated at all ?

Old 08-14-2005, 02:33 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBIRD
Does the metal get treated at all ?
There's a place online called Andrew's Powdercoating - they're in Chatsworth, CA at powdercoater.com. They take you through the whole process on their website.

While you're getting control arms powdercoated, why not get your old cast iron lawn furniture there as well?

Also understand they have regular and marine applications for more severe conditions - may be great for those who live near the beach.

Old 08-14-2005, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I powdercoat all kinds of stuff at home with an Eastwood pwdr gun. It's a lot like painting as far as prep goes. I sandblast if possible or chemical strip. I then clean with a pre-cleaner. Next step is to pre-cook the part in the oven. This burns off anything you may have missed. Then the part is coated and baked. It's really easy to do. I have done lots of parts on my 455 GTO and am starting on my Judge.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:49 AM

I have been powder coating for 17 years. It is key to note that it would be wise to have the bare parts blasted, then phosphated (zinc or iron) then top coated with powder. There are several chemistries of powder. Specific for applications. Talk to you powder source and ask what chemistry is best for your parts. What they are exposed to will aid in determining the chemistry of choice. i.e.(underhood, sunlight etc.). Also note that if the powder is scratched or chipped to bare metal the area effected will begin to rust. Time would depend on exposure conditions. Powder is not sacraficial like zinc coatings. So if it is scratched durring the assembly process use a good touch up paint to cover the bare areas. Hope this helps.
Joe