Old 01-02-2002, 06:27 PM

how difficult is it to stop and steer one of these boats with manual brakes and steering?
thanks,
mike

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: zuerchers ]</p>

Old 01-02-2002, 06:27 PM

how difficult is it to stop and steer one of these boats with manual brakes and steering?
thanks,
mike

[ January 02, 2002: Message edited by: zuerchers ]</p>

Old 01-02-2002, 10:10 PM

I've been stopping & steering mine just fine since Dec '66. But I did lose the gymkhana in the Spring of '67. ;-) Unless you plan on some hi-perf driving, I don't think the brakes are going to be a problem (assuming they are properly maintained and adjusted). The steering can be a challenge at slow speeds, getting in/out of parking spaces, etc. Enjoy the beast!

E

Old 01-03-2002, 12:14 PM

thanks for the reply...thats nice too know.

Old 01-03-2002, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Lemans and GTO that I have had both had manual brakes. The feel was good and positive but under hard braking they would noticably begin to fade. Power brakes would not help much in that regard; discs would be a nice upgrade.
Regards, George

Old 01-03-2002, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 Conv. has neither power steering or brakes. I haven't driven it yet but I remember going for rides with my dad and don't remember him complaining about them. I plan on starting to restore it within the next year. This subject gives me a little food for thought.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-04-2002, 08:20 PM
Senior Chief

Hi Mike,
Manual Drum Brakes but Power Steering here. All my cars have had power everything always so the brakes were a little different for me but I'm getting used to them ( A Little ). They stop just fine, just a bit more pressure required.

Steven [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
-----------------------------------
Old 01-10-2002, 11:30 AM

Go with disc brakes, the drum brakes fade when you need them the most. 78-80 Firebird parts fit
with little modification. If you can, put power
steering on the car also. They are heavy in front.
What I'm doing is using a 2nd generation TA steering box. Turning ratio is improved, less
turns end to end. Unless you have biceps like
Arnold, go with power.
Walt

1967 GTO Convertible Tyrol Blue
1967 GTO Hardtop- Fathom Blue
"Got Pontiac"
Old 01-14-2002, 11:59 PM

My 67 convertible has both PS and PB, whereas my 67 hardtop has manual steering and brakes. The convertible drives fine, but I am going to convert the hardtop to power steering using one of the 3 turns lock to lock rebuilt boxes. The standard brakes are ok, but I may end up converting those later. The manual steering is a real beast at low speeds. That is exactly where power steering is great. Once driving on the highway, they do not seem to be much different.

Old 01-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 65 GTO has manual steering and did have manual drum brakes. I've never had trouble stoping or turning.
I did finally upgrade to power disc in the front because I have always driven hard and fast. I went with a brake kit for about $800, it installed like a dream.

Old 01-17-2002, 11:54 AM
On Vacation

I had a 64 LaMans Coupe, without power steering. It was bad at low speed, and a nightmare to parallel park. It drove more like a tractor. I test drove a '65 GTO convertible without P/S. Again not acceptable, especially with the "plastic wood sports steering wheel". It's surface was slick, and narrow making it more difficult to hold on to and turn, especially in hot weather with your hand sweaty.

The braking systems in any of the early GTO sucked. In 1967 with disc brakes the stopping improved greatly. Can't imagine an early GTO without power brakes. The first thing I would do with an early model would be install power disc brakes at least in the front.

Old 01-17-2002, 11:57 AM
On Vacation

[ January 17, 2002: Message edited by: Glenn ]</p>

Old 01-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have manual steering and manual brakes on my 64 GTO. The drum brake set up is a good one, and I had no problem stopping my car from 130 mph at our local drag strip, which has a short shut down. The factory brakes had terrible fade. I used Raybestos linings that I bought some time ago, and I have the finned steel drums on the front. If you have only driven newer cars with power steering, you will find the steering effort is more than you will like. It does steer like a truck, especially at low speeds.

Old 01-19-2002, 08:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

I have manual drum brakes and steering on my '66 Tempest 4 door!It is a Bear to stop & steer compared to power steering & power brakes in my Wife's '66 Tempest Conv.!In town driving takes getting used to for getting in tight places!I know...I'm spoiled!

Old 01-21-2002, 09:27 PM

Manual steering on my '65 was a riot, 6 turns lock-to-lock. I used to tow a ski boat, and backing it up at the boat ramp was purely comical. Upgrading to power steering made the car so much more enjoyable to drive, especially with a 4-speed (one hand to steer, one to shift, beer between the legs!). Drum brake technology is better now, but still no match for discs. I tend to put safety first, before originality.

Old 01-24-2002, 12:03 AM

Muscle cars are supose to have manual steering and brakes. Power steering robs horse power. Power Disc drag and slow you down. Jim Taylor Is manual all the way in his 10 sec.flat 65 GTO Scalper.He tells me it's a hell of a ride! I love the feeling of manual steering, It's all part of the muscle car experience.If it's not a muscle car, like my wifes 66 Lemans conv. power is nice, very nice.

[ January 23, 2002: Message edited by: 0 ]</p>

Old 03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Senior Chief

Smile 65 manual brakes/steering

I had my 65 since 65 and my manual brakes stop on a dime and leave nine cents change...the steering is hard when parking..

Old 03-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PS and manual brakes here. I like them although I do feel the fade after a bit. Addsto the over all feel of an old car. I dont know how you guys drive these cars with man steering!!

Old 03-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Senior Chief

I have both, it can be a bear parking etc, but its okay after you get used to it. Its all about the power though.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
PS and manual brakes here. I like them although I do feel the fade after a bit. Addsto the over all feel of an old car. I dont know how you guys drive these cars with man steering!!
Paul, at least it isn't the Strongarm Steering we had in the 18 wheelers back in the 70s and 80s. I don't even miss power steering in my 66 GTO.... or power brakes either.

Yeah, I've got manual steering and brakes in mine. I had a hole appear in the front to rear brake line last week and that made me a bit nervous. Tho not as nervous as "The Warden" was, as we had the 2 year old grandson with us. It was his first ride in the GTO. So with that, if you do only one upgrade to the 64, 65 and 66 A-bodies, whether they have power or manual brakes, get rid of the single reservoir and go with a dual reservoir... just for safety sake. That's my next big project this year.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.