Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-28-2001, 10:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got my rear seal in the mail yesterday. Nice fast shipping from BOP! It looks interesting, I'll say that...

Wont have the motor together for a couple of months, and probably not running until the end of the summer.. I'll let the forum know how it turns out.

Don

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 04-28-2001, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gach,

The primary issue revolves around the NEW rope seals, which are basically are worthless. Where did you get the idea than only one guy was having a problem? We know first hand (no pun intended) We built a motor that gushed oil like a Texas well inside 15 minutes of running. We have heard the same story over and over. We get dozens of calls and emails a day on the subject. Have you had a problem, no. Have you built a motor using a new rope, I doubt it. Believe me, if you had you'd know it.

As far as the Cad seal goes, it can work. From our experience and everyone I've talked to it's about a 50/50 shot as to whether it will leak. We took that seal to our manufacturer and they couldn't believe people actually ran that seal in the Pontiac application.

As far as the warranty thing goes, I agree with you. I would be hard pressed to buy an engine the builder would not warranty. Built the fact remains that we have several customers who are big name prominent engine builders that were doing just that if the customer used the new rope.

We would not have invested money in this project if we were not convinced there was a need and therefore a market.

JC,

We have not had any experience with the 460 Ford seal. The people I've talked to that have say it can be made to work with some modifications.

------------------
Wade Congdon - BOP Engineering
www.bopengineering.com
"If you can turn left you're going too slow"

www.bopengineering.com
Old 04-28-2001, 07:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wade, Thanks for the info. I was unaware of the "new" rope seals. I have been buying my set through the same Poncho vendor for years. I am also currently putting together a street 400 for my 64 GTO conv. I will pay extra attention to the rope seal, and who knows, I may be giving you a call!
Thanks, Guy

Old 04-28-2001, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wade, no disrespect, But on the Caddy seal, you're WRONG!! I've use that seal for over 10
years, and never had a problem. You have to install it correctly, and good instructions are needed. Nunzi, and Maxey have been useing and selling that seal for YEARS. I've NEVER had one LEAK.....NEVER, and for 13.00 bucks at your local NAPA store.

I'm not going to comment on the rope seal, right now. But I'll have some facts, and post them in a day or two. I can say one thing though, I'm not hearing the same thing your telling me.

PS: The 460 seal will work, Greg M, has been using this seal, in all his motors, with no problems, for the last 3 years. I'll try an get the info on what's needed. But I know it's not a big deal.

[This message has been edited by Gach (edited 04-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Gach (edited 04-28-2001).]

Old 04-28-2001, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I concur with what Wade says. I have installed several Cadillac seals, and the last one leaked badly. I even installed another one in case I screwed it up. Also leaked. I have talked with people at the track with much more engine building experience than mine, and the comment is that it is a crapshoot. I too had never had trouble with the rope seal - until the last one in my 428 that replaced the leaking neoprene seal. I am extremely pleased that someone made the investment to make a first class rear main seal for Pontiac engines.

Gach – If you haven’t seen the new seal, you should.

BOP Engrg (Wade and Mark) – Thank you for being life savers.

------------------
Jim

Old 04-28-2001, 11:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

None taken, but is that why Greg was working on an aluminum adaptor to use another brand of rubber seal in the 3 inch main application awhile back? The fact is people have been trying to substitue those seals for years with limited success. Just look back at the comments on this board over the past 3 years. And it's such a pain in the A$$ to change one once it's leaking, why would you want to bother when the correct seal is available?

------------------
www.bopengineering.com

www.bopengineering.com
Old 04-29-2001, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently puchased a BOP rear main seal through SD Performance and it looks like a great piece. It fits perfectly and appears well made. I haven't run my 400 yet, but for an extra $20 or so I think it's well worth the investment over an ancient rope type seal.

Old 04-29-2001, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I just pulled the 428 today and took the rear cap off. The seal hadn't turned in the groove but it was a whiteish color, like it was washed. Usually they are black if I remember right. What is going on with this? I don't add Clorox to my oil so that can't be the reason. Now I wonder when I get the BOP seal, do I need to remove the crank or can I just lift the crank a little to get the block half of the seal in?

Old 04-30-2001, 03:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When get the BOP seal, you do not need to remove the crank. You can just lift the it a little to get the block half of the seal in, provided all of the old seal is removed. The seal is designed with anti-rotation treads to prevent slippage, however we do recommend to put silicone in the anti-rotation holes of the cap for extra protection.

Thank You,

------------------
www.bopengineering.com

www.bopengineering.com
Old 05-01-2001, 12:10 AM
Senior Chief

Just got my BOP seal for my 400 on Friday! Bought it from Butler, as I needed other parts and from what I have seen so far it is a Quality piece! I can't wait to install it and try it out! I will post the results!

Old 05-01-2001, 11:23 PM

Well here's my story. I had my 455 completely rebuilt. Mentioned the caddalac seal to my engine builder. He said he's never had a rope seal leak, but would try the caddalac seal. The seal worked like a charm...for 100 miles. Now it leaks like crazy. He'll replace the seal for free (going rope this time), but I have to pull the motor. What a pain in the #$%&! Nothing will wizz a guy off more then spending a year and a ton of money getting your car road ready to have to pull it apart after the first 100 miles. Is this just a Pontiac problem or what! My sympathy to all of you with this problem.

Old 05-02-2001, 03:11 PM

2bad....unless your builder has access to an old asbestos rope seal, you may want to consider waiting for the BOP seal.

------------------
Slower Traffic Keep Right

Old 05-03-2001, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the input. I think I'll go that route. Where can I order one from and what do they cost??

Old 05-03-2001, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

$29.99
Go here to order online or call 608-271-2365

https://w115.securedweb.net/bopengin...tore/c508.html

------------------
www.bopengineering.com

www.bopengineering.com
Old 05-03-2001, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wade, any more word on large-journal seal availability? I took my engine and all it's parts home from the machine shop as it seemed the longer it stayed there the more my bill increased, so I no longer have the tools handy to measure the diameter of the groove in my block.

I'm not in a terrible hurry as I have so many other projects occupying my time at the moment, but I'm hoping to get the engine together by the end of this month.

Thanks!
-Will

Old 05-03-2001, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I must have got lucky on my caddy seal ! about one year and no oil leak from it that I can tell. I did notice a spot about the size of a nickle though under it the other day.

Old 05-03-2001, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Will,

We are expecting 20 seals next week. If you're next on the list you will get one soon, otherwise it could be near the end of the month. We wish we had them all now but all we can do is wait. Anyone with questions please email Mark as I will be in Germany for the next week.

Thanks,

Wade

------------------
www.bopengineering.com

www.bopengineering.com