Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got the call. I'm not going to watch- death is something I avoid.

2 LOW 7 second cars are running for $3K + Police pay-off. These are strictly business, no headlights etc... cars.

BBC powered bird against a BBC powered Mustang + about 30lbs of Nitrous between them.

Any thoughts on cars THAT fast running a street race? They are blocking traffic at least, thank God.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 01-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2 LOW 7 second cars are running for $3K + Police pay-off. These are strictly business, no headlights etc... cars.

BBC powered bird against a BBC powered Mustang + about 30lbs of Nitrous between them.

Any thoughts on cars THAT fast running a street race? They are blocking traffic at least, thank God.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Old 01-25-2005, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3k thats all? dosent seam worth getting them off the trailer, around here those deals start at 5k and to block off a street, more like 15k

Hey Paul did the trans make it to you yet?

Mat it! Spray it! Chute it! Just another 8 Second Pass!
Old 01-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No Trans yet. I Don't know how much the pay-off is! Gotta be in the 3K range alone. The police are doing the roadblock.

Ray, I guess you haven't seen the streets in NOLA.

Old 01-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Senior Chief

What dont you have a dragstrip down there???? To tell you the truth they are stupid

Old 01-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NO. The tracks are all 1.5hrs away.

If you give eleven polititions a 10% cut it's tough to stay open. Welcome to the magical city of N.O.

Old 01-25-2005, 06:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

there one on hwy 10 just out of town, or I think there was.

what streets are you running on? are you in NO or a suburb?

Old 01-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to Goathead

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>NO. The tracks are all 1.5hrs away.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So is mine, but I drive there anyway.

That seems like a disaster waiting to happen, but then again, New Orleans itself is a dister waiting to happen..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJrDl3nRNCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvywdocl4GA

http://ultimategto.com/icongraf/65headtitle.jpg
Old 01-25-2005, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is nothing like the adrenaline rush of a street race.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 PM
Senior Chief

well i did it. We have at least 10 deaths due to street racing in just are city.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 PM

I've seen econorails on the street before in Oakland. Big time races start at 5k and always go down on weeknights between 3am-5am

Old 01-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to harry k Send a message via MSN to harry k Send a message via Yahoo to harry k

There is nothing like the adrenaline rush of a street race

Ditto

Old 01-26-2005, 09:56 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TTS:

Any thoughts on cars THAT fast running a street race? They are blocking traffic at least, thank God. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I want videos otherwise I'm calling BS on this.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My LOOOONG post didn't go through, so I will sum it up.

There is video. Tow trucks blocked 4 lanes. The bird is reported to have 6.9 time slips, the mustang low 7's. They ran 1.5 hrs late because of a despute over drivers. The bird won after giving about 4 cars off the line (traction)

"Looked like a national event"

Old 01-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I only BS at the poker table

Old 01-26-2005, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just heard a similar though slightly different account, but the second story sounded like an even better race!

Old 01-26-2005, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have witnessed several $10K + street races with more than that bet as side bets in the Washington DC area. I've seen a T/A dragster spot a door car for $15K. I've never seen a dragster get loaded up in a trailer and leave so quick! I now have a bumper sticker on my trailer that I bought many years ago that says "Street Racing is not Drag Racing" around a big NHRA logo. I wasn't big into street racing myself but did have many friends I'd follow around all of Maryland til the wee hours of the morning to try and get the race off. It was all fun til fists weren't enough to settle some disputes. When it came to guns I decided it was time to find another way to waste my late nights. Now they are consumed with sleep. But the rush of being there during a fast, tight street race is something you don't forget. That was back in the young, stupid days when I knew everything. When I look back, I don't know how we all aren't in jail or the cemetary. It definately feels good to look over while at the track and see EMT's, an ambulance, guardrails and know that if something bad happens, everyone isn't heading for their cars to get out of there. They will come and help you instead of trying to avoid the cops. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i'm with bill on this one.

i built my 97 trans am (i just sold the car to 69GTO) to race primarily on the street. where did that get me, you might ask? it got me a true street car that went 120 mph in the 1/4 mile on pump gas, yet would get 20 mpg on a 500 mile cruise with the temperature guage never moving north of 180*. it got me tons of races over the years with camaros, mudstains and a bunch of other cars in my area.

it also got me into some situations that i'd rather not have been in. i was involved in more than one 4 wide race on a local bridge, it got harder and harder to find races as the car got faster, and i got thrown in jail once for street racing.

bottom line...building and street racing that car probably wasn't the best investment of money or time that i've ever made, but it was fun as hell while it lasted. i hope if i ever have kids they will choose to confine their racing to the track.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Had to give it up downhere. They now <span class="ev_code_RED">Keep</span> the car and jail time immedialtely with a big fine.

Now all the tracks have open T & T. The money flies the third Sunday of the month at Bradenton.

Hey David. Looks like I might have a ride in one of the brother's car in town. Spendin big bucks and 'big' small block chevy cubes.

It's being built as a Sleeper Big Money car.

Old 01-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now 3 different accounts of the race agree&gt; 5-600 spectators. The firebird was towed to the line and sat w/ traffic driving by for 15 mins. minimum waiting on the Mustang. All started and over in less than 30 min.