Old 06-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to Goin' Topless

I'd like a 4 speaker system. I'm entertaining ideas since I have none...

Old 06-05-2005, 07:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd like a 4 speaker system. I'm entertaining ideas since I have none...

Old 06-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

welp

you can do what im thinking of doing.

Two 6X9's in the rear and then two 4 or 5 inchers in the front doors or in the front dash.

My grand am has a 6 speaker system and it sounds so full.

2 tweeters and mid rangers in the front and woofers in the back!

Darrah for President!!!

LOL
Old 06-06-2005, 01:02 PM

For the front speakers, I used the kick panels that come with the speakers in them. I believe I got them from Year 1. I never liked them in the doors. They take a beating every time you shut the door, and sooner or later they're gonna get wet.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I failed to mention that my '70 is a convertible. Sorry about that. No rear panel to put 6x9s. In it's place is the "well"" where the top folds down. Maybe I could mount them behind the rear seat? Anyone with a 'vert have a 4-speaker system?

up front, I'm thinking of getting a pair of real nice 4-inchers and mount them in the stock location in the dash, but I'm at a loss to know where I could put two more.

Also, I'm adding two plug-ins in the back, probably in the armrest, for headphones. It can get windy back there whent he top is down.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow, the flash really makes the dirt show up. I believe that this panel and the vinyl cover are availible as reproductions if you don't want to cut up the original stuff. Check for clearance behind the panel with the top up, down, and everywhere in between before cutting a hole. I think that this speaker is about 6 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	7068  

Old 06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Chip. I was thinking along the same lines, but on the lower piece down where the seat back meets the seat bottom. I'm thinking a good 4" down there with two up front, either in the kick panels or doubled up in the dash, would work well.

Old 06-07-2005, 08:35 PM

Another option might be to use under the seat speakers. I'm toying with this idea as my car (also a convertible) only came with a mono AM-FM radio. Oddly enough, it came with the optional rear seat speaker. This is just a 6x9 speaker stuck into the back seat with the speaker and grille facing into the convertible well area. The speaker puts out marginal sound when the top is up; when the top is down and I also put the boot cover on, its totally muffled and sounds, well, muffled.

Another config I've been thinking about; get the dual speaker "stereo" speakers that will fit in the standard single speaker bay in the dash for sound in the front, then hook up a subwoofer under the rear seat. This would be something like home stereos where the subwoofer handles all the bass and the high notes are handled by smaller speaker that reflect the sound off the inside of the windshield. Probably wouldn't be as good as a full four speaker system, I suspect, but it might be better on the cost.

The under seat speakers I've seen are made by Custom Autosound ( http://www.custom-autosound.com/ ).

Let me know what you come up with as I'll be trying to figure out what I want to do with my car's stereo system - or rather mono system with two speakers!

Old 06-07-2005, 10:17 PM

Climb into your trunk and lift up the convertible topwell vinyl. Use a flash light and look at the panels. On each side of the convertible top motor there should be a cutout for a 6x9 speaker. You can use the aftermarket kick panels with the speakers in them for the other two speakers. That way you dont have to cut anything.

Old 06-08-2005, 05:46 PM

Topless,
On my 68 the previous owner put two 2" square Kraco tweeters under the dash pointing out at the seats. For the rear passengers he put two 5" or 6" speakers (can't remember what size) in the rear panel like chipb's. Then he put a subwoofer in the trunk. Good setup but crap for equipment. After the remake on the car I'll go with this setup but, I'll use good equipment.

Tony

Old 06-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm already planning to get a dual speaker setup in the stock location, so that part is probably a done deal. Probably a pair of pioneers or Rockford Fosgate or whatever is hot sounding this year.

Another idea I had was to mount speakers behind the armrests or door panels and drill small breather holes for sound.