67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 07-30-2002, 05:38 PM

One of the truely rare, performance cars from the Pontiac Muscle Car era recently sold for $30,000.
This was a '68 RAI Auto Coupe painted a special order color of Carnival Red (Judge Orange).
Keep in mind, this was not even a fully restored car. I'd say it won't be long until a 1st Gen Ram Air Firebird breaks the $100k mark.

[ July 31, 2002, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: RamAirJohn ]

Eph. 4:32
Semper Fi
http://members.aol.com:/ramair68/gen1home.html
Old 07-30-2002, 05:38 PM

One of the truely rare, performance cars from the Pontiac Muscle Car era recently sold for $30,000.
This was a '68 RAI Auto Coupe painted a special order color of Carnival Red (Judge Orange).
Keep in mind, this was not even a fully restored car. I'd say it won't be long until a 1st Gen Ram Air Firebird breaks the $100k mark.

[ July 31, 2002, 05:52 PM: Message edited by: RamAirJohn ]

Semper Fi
Old 07-31-2002, 03:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why do people call it "Judge Orange"? It was a standard color for '69 Firebirds (code 72). It was also a special order paint in '68 (code --). I believe it was Jess Tyree that campaigned (or was given) a '68 in that color. I would have thought that the color came out too late for a Ram Air I engine.

[ July 31, 2002, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: Held for Ransom ]

Old 07-31-2002, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Held for Ransom:
Why do people call it "Judge Orange"? It was a standard color for '69 Firebirds (code 72). It was also a special order paint in '68 (code --). I believe it was Jess Tyree that campaigned (or was given) a '68 in that color. I would have thought that the color came out too late for a Ram Air I engine.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">...PMD offered (4) Special Colors for 1968 on all models except GTO w/Endura Bumper. These were:
Pink Mist, Carnival Red, Windward Blue, Marigold Yellow. Cars with the above colors had "SPECIAL" followed by a number (1 - 4) on the Trim Tag.
Carnival Red was the '68 version of the '69 Judge "Carousel Red". I referenced this as Orange because it certainly appears Orange and most people are familiar with this color from the Judge.
You are correct. Pete McCarthy confirmed that Jess Tyree did infact have a '68 Firebird (that was given to him) painted Carnival Red. I believe there is also another one in the Firebird Registry.

Provided the car was built before May of '68, it would have been Ram Air I. The Special Colors were announced in March '68 (I think).

Semper Fi