Old 01-22-2001, 05:06 PM

Have pulled my tail lights, taken the stainless trim off the louvers, took the paint off and bead blasted them. They look fairly good, except one of the little louver vertical pieces has been busted off. Thinking about trying to replace it with the Eastwood aluminum propane welding kit.

What are they made of. It isn't cast aluminum is it? Also, like many others I've seen, they are "dimpled" where the nuts were tightened too much from the back. Any suggestions on how to put them back to original configuration. Can you heat them and press them back? (I've tried putting a small long impact socket over the bolt and "gently" pressing it cold with a press, pushing against a flat surface, but it doesn't push them far enough back to be straight. Really don't want to use body fillers, although that will probably work, and it is impossible to find a decent set of bezles/louvers for less than an arm and a leg.

Old 01-22-2001, 05:06 PM

Have pulled my tail lights, taken the stainless trim off the louvers, took the paint off and bead blasted them. They look fairly good, except one of the little louver vertical pieces has been busted off. Thinking about trying to replace it with the Eastwood aluminum propane welding kit.

What are they made of. It isn't cast aluminum is it? Also, like many others I've seen, they are "dimpled" where the nuts were tightened too much from the back. Any suggestions on how to put them back to original configuration. Can you heat them and press them back? (I've tried putting a small long impact socket over the bolt and "gently" pressing it cold with a press, pushing against a flat surface, but it doesn't push them far enough back to be straight. Really don't want to use body fillers, although that will probably work, and it is impossible to find a decent set of bezles/louvers for less than an arm and a leg.

Old 02-02-2001, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed, i believe that they are made out of pot-metal. I don't know how concerned you are with orginality, but 95% of those bezels are like that from the factory. Try contacting someone who does potmetal repair and see what they say. I believe that maybe they can be brazed and ground off.