Old 02-22-2002, 08:00 AM

I want to restore the chassis/undercarriage of my '66 GTO. Can anyone comment on the products from POR-15 or Eatwood Rust Encapsulator?

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2002, 08:00 AM

I want to restore the chassis/undercarriage of my '66 GTO. Can anyone comment on the products from POR-15 or Eatwood Rust Encapsulator?

Thanks.

Old 02-22-2002, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont know about eastman but the por 15 is good stuff and most everyone uses it. Very nasty though. You should use eye protection and ruber gloves. Once it is on your skin it will take a week to wear off

Old 02-22-2002, 09:00 AM

Thanks, Txbobcat--- I'm actually in Austin right now. I come here frequently on business. Great city and great state.

Schlitzman

Old 03-04-2002, 11:11 PM

I used the POR 15 on a partial frame and was very happy with the finish. I noticed that they now offer a chassis topcoat for the original POR 15 and was wondering if anyone has used it. Is it worth it and what are the advantages of the topcoat?

Old 03-05-2002, 05:28 PM

First the normal POR 15 is photochemical reactive which, I believe, means it will break down in the UV from sunlight and needs to be topcoated. Second the POR 15 is fairly glossy. The Chassis stuff, while not as hard as POR 15, is more of a satin or semi-gloss, which more closely approximates the original finish gloss.

Here is what they say in their catalog "Here are the companion products you've been asking for. BLACKCOTE™, CHASSISCOAT BLACK™ and STIRLING SILVER are topcoats with attributes similar to POR-15® Rust Preventive Coating, but with no sensitivity to UV light. All are highly flexible, non-porous, extremely scratch and chip resistant, and strengthened by exposure to moisture. Use any one of them over POR-15® for the toughest, most permanent protection against rust and corrosion ever developed. They won't crack, chip or peel, and they look terrific.
BLACKCOTE™ is a beautiful glossy black finish, CHASSISCOAT BLACK™ has a smooth, satiny semi-gloss finish, while STIRLING SILVER has a medium-gloss silver appearance. If your car or truck was produced in the USA from the early 50's to today, the semi-gloss black finish is probably more 'correct as original' for underhood and chassis components, while earlier vehicles usually came with gloss black frames, chassis, and underhood parts"

Ed

[ March 05, 2002: Message edited by: Ed Neasham ]</p>